Dr Paul Bain
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyMy research interests include human values and virtues; lay theories and beliefs (e.g., about human nature and how societies develop); the cognitive structure of concepts (especially of social concepts like values and moral rules); psychological essentialism; dehumanisation (treating people in other groups as less human); cross-cultural psychology; and conceptions of society in the future.
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (University of Melbourne)
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce (The University of Melbourne)
- Bain P, Milfont T, Kashima Y, Bilewicz M, Doron G, Garoarsdottir R, Gouveia V, Guan Y, Johansson L, Pasquali C, other a, (2016) Co-benefits of addressing climate change can motivate action around the world, Nature Climate Change, 6 (2) p154
- Crimston D, Bain P, Hornsey M, Bastian B, (2016) Moral expansiveness: Examining variability in the extension of the moral world, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 111 (4) p636
- Bain P, Bongiorno R, (2015) Are individualism and 'masculinity' related when controlling for regional proximity? A reappraisal of Barry (2015), Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 46 (9) p1226
- Bain P, Kroonenberg P, Kashima Y, (2015) Cultural beliefs about societal change: A three-mode principal component analysis in China, Australia, and Japan, Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 46 (5) p635
- Bain P, Vaes J, Leyens J, (2014) Humanness and Dehumanization, Psychology Press
- Bain P, Hornsey M, Bongiorno R, Kashima Y, Crimston D, (2013) Collective futures: How projections about the future of society are related to actions and attitudes supporting social change, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 39 (4) p523
- Bongiorno R, Bain P, Haslam N, (2013) When sex doesn't sell: Using sexualized images of women reduces support for ethical campaigns, PLoS One, 8 (12) p1
- Bain P, Vaes J, Kashima Y, Haslam N, Guan Y, (2012) Folk conceptions of humanness: Beliefs about distinctive and core human characteristics in Australia, Italy, and China, Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 43 (1) p53
- Bain P, Hornsey M, Bongiorno R, Jeffries C, (2012) Promoting pro-environmental action in climate change deniers, Nature Climate Change, 2 (8) p600
- Bain P, Kashima Y, Haslam N, (2006) Conceptual beliefs about human values and their implications: Human nature beliefs predict value importance, value trade-offs, and responses to value-laden rhetoric, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 91 (2) p351