Professor Paul Roe
Faculty of Science,
School of Computer Science
Professor Paul Roe received his MEng from the University of York in 1987 and his PhD from the University of Glasgow in 1991. He is currently a full professor in the Science and Engineering Faculty at QUT, in Brisbane Australia. At QUT, he founded and led the Microsoft-QUT eResearch Centre, a collaboration between the Queensland State Government, Microsoft Research and QUT which investigated smart tools for eResearch.
Professor Roe has published over 200 papers, received over $10M in competitive research funding (50% in category one research) and graduated more than 21 research students. He has organised numerous conferences. He undertakes novel interdisciplinary research, including ecological acoustic monitoring systems which enable new scales of environmental monitoring through big data collection and analysis, and novel computer systems supporting communication and collaboration in remote Aboriginal communities.
Recently he has created the worlds first acoustic observatory to acoustically monitor biodiversity across Australia www.acousticobservatory.org
Faculty of Science,
School of Computer Science
Grid computing, Programming languages, Software engineering, Web services., eScience
Distributed Computing, Computer Software
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (University of Glasgow)
- MEng(Hons) (University of York)
- What is a computer and how does a computer work?
- What is a network and how does it work?
- What is the web and how does it work?
The subject uses Raspberry Pi computers (www.raspberrypi.org) and is one of the largest classes in the world using Raspberry Pis (more than 900 students in semester 1 2021!).
In the past Paul has developed and taught new subjects on: functional programming, high performance computing, distributed and mobile computing.
- Mason R, Roe P, Towsey M, Zhang J, Gibson J, Gage S, (2008) Towards an acoustic environmental observatory, Proceedings of the IEEE Fourth International Conference on eScience, 2008 p135
- Mason R, Pham B, Roe P, Zhang J, Lau A, Richards M, (2008) Monitoring the environment through acoustics using smartphone-based sensors and 3G networking, Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Network Deployments (WiDeploy08); 4th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems, DCOSS 2008 p52
- Teague D, Roe P, (2008) Collaborative learning - towards a solution for novice programmers, Proceedings of the Tenth Australasian Computing Education Conference in Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology - CRPIT Volume 78 p147
- Buckingham L, Hogan J, Roe P, Sumitomo J, Towsey M, (2008) Comparative studies simplified in GPFlow, Computational Science - ICCS 2008: 8th International Conference Proceedings, Part III [Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 5103] p491
- Soon C, Roe P, (2008) Annotation architecture for mobile collaborative mapping, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia p211
- Soon C, Roe P, Tjondronegoro D, (2008) An approach to mobile collaborative mapping, Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing 2008 p1929
- Cai J, Ee M, Pham B, Roe P, Zhang J, (2007) Sensor Network for the Monitoring of Ecosystem: Bird Species Recognition, Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing p293
- Teague D, Roe P, (2007) Learning to program: going pair-shaped, Innovations in Teaching and Learning in Information and Computer Sciences, 6 (4) p4
- Huang W, Roe P, Wong O, (2006) Design and Implementation of a Mobile Wiki, Frontiers in Mobile and Web Computing: Proceedings of MoMM2006 & iiWAS2006 Workshops p99
- Truong D, Bancroft P, Roe P, (2006) A Web Environment for Learning to Program, Transforming IT Education: Promoting a Culture of Excellence p205
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- A Framework for Fully Decentralised Cycle Stealing (2009)
- A Web Based Programming Environment for Novice Programmers (2007)
- Automatic Relative Debugging (2007)
- Design and Implementation of a Multi-stage, Object-oriented Programming Language (2007)
- A Programming Model and Performance Model for Cycle Stealing (2006)
- An Adaptive Framework for Internet-based Distributed Genetic Algorithms (2006)
- Specification-Driven Dynamic Binary Translation (2005)
- A Security Architecture for Protecting the Dynamic Components of Mobile Agents (2004)