Faculty of Science,
School of Mathematical Sciences
In May 2016, I was appointed to Associate Professor of Operations Research at QUT, within the School of Mathematical Sciences (SMS), making a return to academia after 10 years working in the consulting industry. This appointment by SMS aligns with the history and on-going strategy of the school to pursue teaching and research with real-world impact, a successful strategy leading QUT's School of Mathematical Sciences to be one of the strongest performing schools of mathematics nationally.
Since completing a PhD in Operations Research at QUT om 2002, I continued at QUT as a Research Associate until 2006 before accepting a role as Mathematician within AECOM’s simulation and analytics team, becoming a Principal in 2010. In 2012 I accepted a technical lead role with consulting company Aurecon, as part of a small team tasked with building an operations modelling and analytics capability from the ground up. I played a leading role in the development of proprietary operations simulation platforms and supporting tools, predominantly in the areas of rail operations, bulk materials handling/mining, port operations and general queuing networks. This also included the development of optimisation models and algorithms which underpinned the planning engines within the simulation libraries. Leveraging this body of work, I was the technical lead on operational modelling for feasibility studies, master planning and operational optimisation for many large infrastructure projects within Australia and internationally. I continue to work collaboratively with Aurecon to maintain and continue development of these models and libraries.
Since May 2016, I have been a full-time Associate Professor at QUT. This role consists of an allocation of 40% teaching, 40% research and 20% service/administration. Prior to this current role, I was a sessional lecturer at QUT since 2010, delivering a third year Operations Research unit covering decision theory, queueing theory and simulation. I was also appointed as an Adjunct Associate Professor from 2012 to 2016. I am now unit coordinator for 2 undergraduate Operations Research units, and I am responsible for a post-graduate Operations Research module along with supervision of post-graduate students. Within SMS, I have a service role as Industry Engagement Director, working with the School Executive Committee and Industry Engagement Team on strategic initiatives to grow our involvement in collaborative research with industry.
Faculty of Science,
School of Mathematical Sciences
scheduling, meta-heuristics, mixed-integer and linear programming, discrete-event simulation, transport and logistics systems, manufacturing, mining
Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Other Mathematical Sciences
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
Ph.D (Queensland University of Technology), BAppSc(Hons) (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
Operations Research (OR) is the application of advanced analytical methods to make better decisions. This field is very practical in its nature and a key focus of teaching OR at QUT is making direct ties to real-world applications. Students are exposed to authentic industry projects through the Work-Integrated-Learning capstone unit in OR, gaining experience with stakeholder engagement, working as a project team within a compliance framework and delivering actionable outcomes. Employers are looking for graduates that are industry ready and possessing advanced analytical skills. With these attributes QUT's OR students are well positioned to embark on challenging and rewarding careers.
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2008) Optimised loading patterns for intermodal trains, Operations-Research-Spektrum p721-750
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2006) An Assignment Model for Dynamic Load Planning of Intermodal Trains, Computers and Operations Research p1-17
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2004) Ant Colony Optimisation for Machine Layout Problems, Computational Optimization and Applications p287-310
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2004) Job Scheduling with Technical Constraints, Journal of the Operational Research Society p160-169
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2004) Meta-Heuristics for a Complex Push-Pull Production System, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing p381-393
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2010) Adapting ant colony optimization to a real machine layout problem, ASOR Bulletin p2-20
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2006) A Decision Support System for Intermodal Train Planning, Proceedings of The Second International Intelligent Logistics Systems Conference 2006 p13.1-13.17
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2004) Dynamic Container Train Planning, Proceedings of the Fifth Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management Systems Conference 2004 p1-20
- Corry P, Kozan E, (2002) Optimising a Horizontally Integrated Push/Pull Hybrid Production System in a Foundry, Operations Research/Management Science at Work p189-203
- Kozan E, Corry P, (2005) A Real Time Decision Support System for Intermodal Container Terminals, Proceedings Thirty-Fifth International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering p1197-1202
- Academic Honours, Prestigious Awards or Prizes
- Reference year
- Vice-Chancellors Performance Award: for design and delivery of Work-Integrated-Learning for a mathematics capstone unit.