Dr Marcello Tonelli
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
Dr Marcello Tonelli is a Researcher at the Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research (ACE) in the QUT Business School. Marcello has a PhD in strategic decision-making and an interest in entrepreneurship research, especially in relation to sustainable development and poverty alleviation. Over the years he has also published in the areas of System thinking, Territorial development through innovation polices, Leadership, Education, and Real estate economics.
Between 2003-2012 Marcello was also the Managing Director of WorlDynamics Pty Ltd, a management consulting practice that worked with numerous organizations across industries. With regard to scientific research, he undertook numerous consultancies for Australian CRCs and CSIRO to assist them in international business development and commercialisation of R&D. He is a professionally accredited management consultant with 15 years of experience.
Current Research Activities
- Models of community development in third world countries
- Study and definition of socially-oriented business models
- 2012: QUT Business School − Gauging the impact of a lack of transport infrastructure on micro-enterprises in Mozambique
- 2011: WorlDynamics Pty Ltd – Innovation Impact Assessment System and Observatory for Italian Region Campania.
- 2011: QUT Business School − Building PhD student capabilities through industry engagement.
- 2010: ACE – The Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) research program
- 2010: ACE – The Comprehensive Australian Study of Entrepreneurial Emergence research project
- 2008: Territorial Innovation and Competitiveness for Italian Region Valle d’Aosta
- 2006: Sydney Opera House – Facility Management Exemplar Project
- 2005: Mo.S.E. – Experimental Electromechanical Module
- 2003: eValueBuild – A flexible performance evaluation tool for commercial buildings.
- 2011: IMRG funding − $9,947
EMDG Grants: As Managing Director of WorlDynamics Pty Ltd, Marcello received funding from the Australian government for 4 consecutive years.
- 2007: WorlDynamics Pty Ltd – $16,644
- 2006: WorlDynamics Pty Ltd – $44,392
- 2005: WorlDynamics Pty Ltd – $30,748
- 2004: WorlDynamics Pty Ltd – $38,608
CRC Grants: Marcello has been a Senior Associate of RMDSTEM Ltd operating in their technology management practice. The company, by assessing and communicating the value of their research, supported several research organizations, particularly many CRC clients, in their efforts to bid for funding.
2009: QUT Write Up Award, Australia
2008: Australian Postgraduate Award Industry (APAI) for Commercialization Training Scheme (CTS), Australia
2003 – 2007: CRC for Construction Innovation Postgraduate Student Award, Australia
2004: RICS Oceania Award for “Best New Presenter” at PRRES Conference, Thailand
1999: University of Pacific Scholar-Athlete Award, United States
1998 – 1999: Big West Conference Scholar-Athlete Award, United States
1997 – 1998: University of Pacific Presidential Award, United States.
Business and Management
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
- 2005 − current Certified Management Consultant (CMC) and
Member of Institute of Management Consultants (MIMC)
- 2004 − 2012 Fellow of the Australian Institute of
- 2009 − 2012 Graduate Member of the Australian
Institute of Company Directors (GAICD)
- 2009 − 2010 Member of Project Management Institute
- 2002 − 2009 Member of the Australian Computer Society
- 2004 − 2008 Member of Australian Property Institute
- 1998 − 2003 Member of System Dynamics Society
- Tonelli M, Dalglish C, (2012) Micro-credit is necessary but not sufficient for entrepreneurs in desperate poverty, FSR Forum, 14 (4), pp. 17-21.
- Tonelli M, Dalglish C, (2011) Entrepreneurial becoming: an educational pathway out of poverty, Presented at: 3rd International Social Innovation Research Conference, pp. 1-15.
- Tonelli M, Serio L, (2012) Territorial strategy and regions, Encyclopedia of New Venture Management, pp. 446-448.
- Tonelli M, Dalglish C, (2012) The role of transport infrastructure in facilitating the survival and growth of micro-enterprises in developing economies, Presented at: 2012 Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research and DIANA Conference (ACERE DIANA), pp. 111.
- Tonelli M, Cowley M, Boyd T, (2004) Forecasting Office Building Rental Growth Using a Dynamic Approach, Pacific Rim Property Research Journal, 10 (3), pp. 283-304.
- Tonelli M, (2011) Unstructured processes of strategic decision-making: Unstructured strategic decision-making processes: CRE decision-making in the Italian consulting industry, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.