Dr Mal Shield
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
Mal Shield works in the area of secondary mathematics curriculum. He is a former secondary school mathematics teacher and head of department who has been involved in teacher education for the past twenty years.
As well as teaching pre-service mathematics teachers, Dr Shield works regularly with mathematics teachers around the state in professional development activities. His research interests have been primarily focused on the use of language in mathematics learning, particularly in written forms.
Dr Shield has also been involved in the authorship of five secondary mathematics textbook series, most recently the extension of the Go Maths primary series into the secondary years for Origo Education.
Dr Shield’s main focus is on the application of research to the secondary classroom. He does this through professional development activities with teachers and through the writing of school mathematics materials that draw on his own research and that of others.
Curriculum and Pedagogy
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (University of Queensland)
- MEd (University of Queensland)
- DipEd (University of Queensland)
- BSc (University of Queensland)
- BEdSt (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
- Queensland Association of Mathematics Teachers
- Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers
- Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia