Adjunct Associate Professor
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyResearch theme: Environment, Food
Research discipline: Cell and Molecular Biosciences
Research program: IHBI (ILAQH and ID, ISR (i-Water)
Wastewater quality and Source tracking: With the current interest in water recycling, the efficiency of wastewater treatment to ensure the safety of water users is vital. Identification of the sources of contamination is vital to management strategies to minimize pollution. Our laboratory is focussing on cutting edge molecular methods for identifying the source of microbial water pollutants.
Greywater perceptions project (ISR): During the water crisis of 2007, many people in SE QLD began to use grey-water for a variety of household functions. We investigated perceptions of householders and "experts" regarding the safe use of grey water, finding that all stakeholders were keen to improve their knowledge in this area.
Aerosols in Hospital/Home Environments of CF patients: Cystic Fibrosis patients are prone to infection with several opportunistic pathogens, most notably Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The environmental source of infectious micro-organisms is of current worldwide interest, and we are presently investigating home and hospital sources of life-threatening clonal strains and their relationship to patient isolates, using cutting edge molecular methods.
Areas of expertise
- Water Microbiology
- Infection Control Microbiology
- Assessment practices in higher education.
- ARC Discovery Grant: Mechanisms of virus transport in indoor environments
- TPCH Foundation Grant: Aerosolisation of mycobacteria found in water distribution systems as a mode of acquisition of infection in patients with pulmonary mycobacterial disease.
Selected research projects
- Wastewater quality and Source tracking
- Greywater perceptions project (ISR)
- Aerosols in Hospital/Home Environments of CV patients
- Effects of Recycled water as coolants in large industrial sites.
Science Education, Water, air quality, higher education, recycled water, wastewater
Microbiology, Environmental Engineering
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology)
- GradCertEd (Queensland University of Technology)
- BSc(Hons) (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations