Professor Mary Courtney
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
Professor Courtney is Assistant Dean (Research), Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Australia. She leads research initiatives and manages change across the Faculty of Health. Additionally, she
- leads and manages postgraduate research programs
- chairs Faculty Research Committee
- serves as a member of University Research and Innovation Committee and University Research Degrees Committee
- coordinates the PhD and Master of Applied Science (Research)
- oversees the faculty honours programs.
Professor Courtney is an active researcher publishing over 100 referred journal articles, 20 book chapters and 4 books. Professor Courtney has experience as a chief investigator on 5 ARC grants and 3 NHMRC grants. Her research interests are within health policy and reform, gerontology/chronic disease management. Professor Courtney is also interested in health services management research in particular health workforce recruitment and retention issues.
Professor Courtney reviews grants for ARC and NHMRC panels and referrs journal articles for several national and international journals. In 2008, she was appointed to the Australian Government Endeavour Awards selection panel (2008 - 2011). Her book Health Care Financial Management (Elsevier 2004) is used as a textbook for health services management courses both in Australia and internationally.
- 2008 - 2012: Preventing hospital re-admissions and loss of functionality in high risk older adults. A randomised controlled trial, Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Grant
- 2008– 2010: Wound Care in Residential Aged Care Facilities, Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing
- 2007 - 2010: Using conversational computer technology to improve diabetes management. A randomised controlled trial, NHMRC Project Grant
- 2007 - 2008: Indicators of quality for Australian residential aged care facilities. Establishing reliability, validity and quality benchmarks, Queensland Nursing Council.
- 2007 -2008: Wound Healing Community Outreach Service Project, Cecilia Kilkeary Foundation
- 2005 – 2008: Identifying the relationship between biochemical markers and healing in chronic leg ulcers treated with compression, NHMRC Project Grant
- 2005 -2008: Trial of a community model of care for people throughout progression of dementia, Wicking Trust.
Chronic Disease Management, Dynamics of wound healing - venous leg ulcers, Quality care in residential care, Self-management of Diabetes Type 2
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy (University of New England)
Professional memberships and associations
- Member - Australian Association of Gerontology
- Associate Fellow - Australian Society of Health Service Executives
- Fellow - Royal College of Nursing, Australia
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Resilience in chronic disease: The relationships among risk factors, protective factors, adaptive outcomes and the level of resilience in adults with diabetes. (2009)
- Effectiveness of a peer-led self-management program for older people with type 2 diabetes in China (2008)
- Effectivemess of Self -management for Persons with Type 2 Diabetes following the Implementation of a Self-efficacy Enhancing Intervention Program in Taiwan (2007)
- Identification of Early Cardiac Decompensation and the Management of Intraaortic Balloon Counterpulsation Weaning (2007)
- In-home preventive health assessment and telephone case management for over 75s living alone in independent living units: A cluster randomised controlled trial (2005)
- Promoting Better Weaning Practice in PICU: The Development, Implementation and Evaluation of Guidelines for Weaning Children from Mechanical Ventilation (2005)
- Prolonged use of Intravenous Administration Sets: A Randomised Controlled Trial (2004)
- The Development of Family-Focused Intensive Care Nursing through Action Research (2004)
- Family Outcomes following Patient Transfer from Intensive Care: An Educational Intervention (2003)
- Supporting Family Carer's in Caring for Older People in the Community in Indonesia (2003)