Ms Michelle Backstrom
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyMichelle Backstrom is a lecturer in the Law School. In 1991, Michelle was a solicitor at a national law firm before a move to Hong Kong where she taught Property Law in the School of Professional and Continuing Education at the University of Hong Kong. Michelle has extensive professional experience in the areas of contract negotiation, property sales, leases and other commercial transactions. Michelle has taught extensively in the Faculty in Contracts, Property Law, Legal Research and Writing, Bankruptcy and Law, Society and Justice. She has been the recipient of a number of teaching awards including the Vice-Chancellor’s Performance Award. Michelle researches in the areas of Contract Law, Property law and Legal Education. She is a member of the QUT Law, Commercial and Property Law Research Centre. Some of Michelle's publications include:
- Backstrom,Michelle "An examination of the independent certification processes of a construction contract"(2013) 29(5) Building and Construction Law Journal 406-416.
- Backstrom, Michelle & Christensen, Sharon A. (2011) "Qualified indefeasibility and the careless mortgagee" (2011)19(2) Australian Property Law Journal 109.
- Dixon, William M & Backstrom, Michelle "A changing landscape: The mortgagee's power of sale in Queensland" (2009) 2(1&2) Journal of the Australasian Law Teachers Association 257-26.
contract law, property law, consumer law
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Master of Law (Queensland University of Technology)
- LLB (Queensland Inst. of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
- Member of the Australasian Law Teachers' Association.
- Member of the Consumers' Federation of Australia.
- Previously admitted to practice as a Queensland Legal Practitioner.
- LWB 136 Contracts A
- LWB137 Contracts B
- LWS009 Introduction to Law
- Backstrom M, (2013) An examination of the independent certification processes of a construction contract, Building and Construction Law Journal, 29 (5) p406
- Wiseman L, Backstrom M, Trowse P, (2012) Contract Law [4th Edition], p
- Backstrom M, Christensen S, (2011) Qualified indefeasibility and the careless mortgagee, Australian Property Law Journal, 19 (2) p109
- Backstrom M, (2011) Forged mortgages and Queensland's careless mortgagee exception to indefeasibility, Australian Property Law Bulletin p4
- Dixon B, Backstrom M, (2009) A changing landscape: the mortgagee's power of sale in Queensland, Journal of the Australasian Law Teachers Association, 2 (1&2) p257
- Backstrom M, (2009) Court finds solicitor in breach of fiduciary duty owed to client but loss not caused by the breach, Australian Property Law Bulletin p29
- Backstrom M, (2009) Parties legally bound to unsigned put and call option, Australian Property Law Bulletin p8
- Backstrom M, (2009) Mortgagee in breach of statutory duty, Queensland Lawyer p180