Dr Kathy Ellem
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
intellectual disabilty, prison, family, life story, advocacy, offenders, disability, casework and case management
Social Work, Criminology
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (University of Queensland)
- Bachelor of Social Work with Honours (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
- Sunderland N, Chenoweth L, Matthews N, Ellem K, (2015) 1000 Voices: Reflective online multimodal narrative inquiry as a research methodology for disability research, Qualitative Social Work, 14 (1), pp. 48-64.
- Boodle A, Ellem K, Chenoweth L, (2014) Anna's story of life in prison, British Journal of Learning Disabilities, 42 (2), pp. 117-124.
- Chenoweth L, Ellem K, (2013) 1000 voices : an online public collection of life stories, Interaction (Canberra): the Australian magazine on intellectual disability, 26 (4), pp. 30-33.
- Matthews N, Ellem K, Chenoweth L, (2013) Crafting and retelling everyday lives - disabled people's contribution to bioethical concerns, Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics, 3 (3), pp. 235-240.
- Ellem K, O'Connor M, Wilson J, Williams S, (2013) Social work with marginalised people who have a mild or borderline intellectual disability: Practicing gentleness and encouraging hope, Australian Social Work, 66 (1), pp. 56-71.
- Ellem K, Wilson J, Chui W, (2012) Effective responses to offenders with intellectual disabilities: Generalist and specialist services working together, Australian Social Work, 65 (3), pp. 398-412.
- Ellem K, (2012) Experiences of leaving prison for people with intellectual disability, Journal of Intellectual Disabilities and Offending Behaviour, 3 (3), pp. 127-138.
- O'Connor M, MacDonald S, Ellem K, Wilson J, (2012) Supporting young people with mild/borderline intellectual disability exiting state out-of-home care: Directions for practice, Developing Practice, 32, pp. 53-65.
- Ellem K, Wilson J, (2010) Life story work and social work practice : a case study with ex-prisoners labelled as having an intellectual disability, Australian Social Work, 63 (1), pp. 67-82.
- Ellem K, Wilson J, Chui W, Knox M, (2008) Ethical challenges of life story research with ex-prisoners with intellectural disability, Disability and Society, 23 (5), pp. 497-509.