Dr John Rosenberg
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyBackground: Dr John Rosenberg is registered nurse with a clinical background in community-based palliative care. As a active researcher since 1999, he has focused upon social models of health care, the application of health promotion principles to palliative and end of life care, and community development approaches to the support of dying people.
Industry Research Activities:
NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence in End-of-Life Care
- 2016: Understanding GP clinical practice in end of life care.
- 2015: Evaluation of the Better Access, Support and Interdisciplinary Care - Nurse Practitioner [BASIC-NP] pilot program.
Calvary Centre for Palliative Care Research Dr Rosenberg was the foundation Director of the Calvary Centre for Palliative Care Research in Canberra, ACT (2011-2014) in a joint appointment with the Australian Catholic University. He established and led a program of research in palliative and end of life care:
- Stream 1 of the research program responded to locally identified practice issues (such as emergency medication kits, volunteering, and delirium screening;
- Stream 2 continued his work in the areas of community development in end of life issues, including an ARC Linkage Grant (2011-2014) led by the University of Western Sydney titled Caring at end of life: understanding the nature and effect of informal community care networks for people dying at home.
External research projects
- 2017 - 2020: Wicking Trust. Developing an index to measure death literacy in Australia. Groundswell Project/Western Sydney University/QUT/La Trobe University.
- 2014 - 2016: Decision Assist Palliative Care Linkages project. QUT.
- 2014: Determining palliative care service capacity for community engagement. QUT.
- 2012 - 2015: End of life care at home - co-creating an ecology of care. Western Sydney University/ACU/QUT/CSIRO.
- 2014: Independent assessment of the National Standards Assessment Program. QUT/Monash University/Palliative Care Australia.
- 2012 – 2013: The palliative care volunteer in 2020. Palliative Care ACT – Margaret Corden Scholarship.
- 2012 – 2013: The use of an emergency medication kit (EMK) in palliative care community practice. Australian National University Research Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Practice.
- 2012: Building community and professional capacity at the end of life: an evaluation of health promoting palliative care in the Australian Capital Territory. Australian Catholic University Faculty of Health Sciences Research Grant.
- 2011: The impact of spa therapy upon pain and distress in palliative care patients - Reducing symptoms with Spa Therapy (RESPAT). Calvary Centre for Palliative Care Research.
- 2011: “Too little, too late!”: Evaluation of the Respecting Patient Choices program for Home Based Palliative Care patients at Clare Holland House. Australian Catholic University Faculty of Health Sciences Research Grant.
- 2004 - 2006: The development of a framework of competency standards for specialist palliative care nursing practice. Queensland Nursing Council.
- 2003: Multicultural awarenss in palliative care. Centre for Palliative Care Research and Education.
- 2003: Palliative care by nurses in rural and remote practice. Centre for Palliative Care Research and Education.
- 2001: Descriptions by informal caregivers of formal palliative care nursing interventions at home. Queensland Nursing Council.
Adjunct positions: In addition to his current appointment in the Supportive and Palliative Care Team in the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation and the CRE-ELC at QUT, Dr Rosenberg holds an adjunct position in the Palliative Care Unit, School of Public Health, La Trobe University as a Senior Lecturer.
palliative care, end of life, health promotion, community development, qualitative research
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
External HDR/Honours supervision completions:
- 2017: Coventry, A. Implementing quality end of life care for patients and their significant others in the ICU. Masters of Philosophy (Research), Australian Catholic University.
- 2015: Marcucci, F.C.I. Identification and characteristics of patients with palliative care needs in Brazilian Primary Health Care. Doctor of Philosophy, QUT (International Occupational Trainee).
- 2014: Callaway, A. Christians who have stopped attending church - an exploration of the divine-human relationship. Doctor of Practical Ministry, Australian Catholic University (methodological supervision).
- 2012: Mills, J.M. Building Community and Professional Capacity at the End of Life: an evaluation of Health Promoting Palliative Care in the Australian Capital Territory. Bachelor of Nursing (Honours - 1st Class), Australian Catholic University.
- 2015: Champion, Early Career/Mid-Career Researchers program, QUT.
- 2012 - 2013: Member, Research and Research Training Committee, Australian Catholic University.
- 2011 - 2013: Member, Palliative Care Strategy Implementation Working Group, Australian Capital Territory Health Directorate.
- 2011 - 2013: Active Researcher Representative, Human Research Ethics Committee, Calvary Health Care - ACT.
- 2011 – 2013: Member, National Palliative Care Collaborative, Little Company of Mary Health Care.
- 2008 - 2011: President, Palliative Care Nurses Australia Inc.
Dr Rosenberg has held roles with Palliative Care Australia and Palliative Care Queensland. He is a contributor to public commentary on end of life issues in the print, electronic and radio media, and through his roles as Master of Ceremonies and Guest Presenters in various public forums.