Dr Jerry Iu
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
- Academic Career: Chi Kin - Jerry, Iu is a University Lecturer at the School of Civil Engineering and Built Environment at Queensland University of Technology in Australia since March 2013. After his PhD research study, he was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the ShenZhen Graduate School of Harbin Institute of Technology in China for two years. During the Postdoctoral Fellow in China, he was also a Part-time Visiting Lecturer at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University for the first semester. Further, he was a Visiting Postdoctoral Fellow at the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the University of Hawaii at Manoa in United State. He was a Research Associate at the Centre for the Centre of Infrastrcuture Engineering and Safety at the University of New South Wales in Australia for two years. He was a Research Fellow at the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in Hong Kong until he was offered as the current position.
- Education: He was conferred on BEng, Mphil and PhD degrees from the Civil and Structural Engineering Department at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He was confered on Bachelor of Engineering in the Second Honour Division 1 and the first ranked at the class. He further his education at master and doctoral level in area of structural engineering, especially his doctoral research study on the nonlinear fire analysis of steel framed structures.
- Teaching Experience: When he was a Part-time Visiting Lecturer at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, he delivered the courses of Structural Analysis I and Structural Steel Design including full- and part-time classes. Further, when he was a research associate at the University of New South Wales, he assisted in teaching of tutorial classes of Structural Analysis I and Structural Design of Concrete and Steel Structures.
- Research Funding: When he was a Research Associate at the University of New South Wales, he was granted an Early Career Researcher Fund, whose title was Advanced fire and blast analysis of steel structures using a higher-order element formulation and refined plastic hinge approach.
- Expertise: His research expertise is generally on the computational method which mainly covers several realms, including generalized element load method for accurate element force and displacemet solutions, second-order analysis using an element per member, the nonlinear fire analysis and nonlinear analysis of composite structures. In particular, he is proficient in the refined plastic hinge approach for the inelastic behaviour (gradual or partial yielding, full plasticity and strain-hardening effect), and higher-order finite element formulation for an element which is capable of capturing geometric nonlinearities (second-order P-d and P-D effects, large deformation pre- and post-buckling, and snap-through buckling).
- PhD in Civil and Structural Engineering (Hong Kong Polytechnic University)
- Nonlinear Computational Method
- Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis
- Structural Fire Engineering
- Performance-based design approach
- Finite Element Method (One- or Two-Dimensional Element)
- Structural Dynamics
- Structural Analysis, Part II (Stability & Plasticity)
- Structural Design (Steel & Concrete)
- Structural Analysis, Part I (Linear and Elastic Methods)
- Structural Mechanics
- Strength of Materials
- Engineering Mathematics
- Higher-order Element Formulation of Beam-column and Plate Element
- Performance-based Analysis for Multi-hazards (Fire, Blast and Dynamic)
- Time-dependent Analysis for Infrastructure Sustainability
- Second-order Inelastic of Structures (i.e. Steel, Reinforced Concrete & Steel-Concrete Composite)
- Innovative Integrated Analysis and Design for Engineering Design
- Iu C, Bradford M, (2012) Higher-order non-linear analysis of steel structures. Part II : refined plastic hinge formulation, Advanced Steel Construction, 8 (2) p183
- Iu C, Bradford M, (2012) Higher-order non-linear analysis of steel structures: Part I : elastic second-order formulation, Advanced Steel Construction, 8 (2) p168
- Iu C, Bradford M, (2010) Second-order elastic finite element analysis of steel structures using a single element per member, Engineering Structures, 32 (9) p2606
- Iu J, Bradford M, Chen C, (2009) Second-order inelastic analysis of composite framed structures based on the refined plastic hinge method, Engineering Structures, 31 (3) p799
- Iu J, (2008) Inelastic finite element analysis of composite beams on the basis of the plastic hinge approach, Engineering Structures, 30 (10) p2912
- Chan S, Iu J, (2006) On the advanced analysis of steel frames allowing for flexural, local and lateral-torsional buckling, International Journal of Steel Structures, 6 () p121
- Iu J, Chan S, Zha X, (2005) Nonlinear pre-fire and post-fire analysis of steel frames, Engineering Structures, 27 (11) p1689
- Iu J, Chan S, (2004) A simulation-based large deflection and inelastic analysis of steel frames under fire, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 60 (10) p1495