Dr Jeanette Neden
Curriculum Design Studios
BiographyJeanette is a Senior Lecturer, Curriculum and Learning Design in the Learning and Teaching Unit, Office of the Provost.
Jeanette has 30 years experience as an academic in Tertiary and Higher Education contexts in Australia and England including Northumbria, Durham, Griffith and QUT Universities. Jeanette's academic work, encompassing teaching, research, HDR supervision and leadership as Programs Lead Master’s Degree in Family Therapy, Master’s Degree in Systemic Teaching, Training and Supervision, Academic Lead of the Systemic Psychological Therapies Pathway C&YP IAPT at Northumbria University, UK National Chair of the Association for Family Therapy and the Chair of the National Accrediting Committee of the UK Professional body for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice. With a professional background in social work, child protection and systemic psychotherapy Jeanette has held diverse statutory roles in the Australian Public Service, UK Local Authorities, the NSPCC and the NHS. In Australia, prior to commencing at QUT Jeanette was Director of Field Education (Social Work) at Griffith University. Jeanette is a Senior Fellow and Associate Fellow (Indigenous) (Advance HE) and she is current Vice President of the Australian and New Zealand Social Work and Welfare Education and Research Organization. Her research interests include:
- Reflexive, and decolonizing methodologies for social justice in practice, education and research.
- Collaborative, dialogical and relational approaches to learning, teaching and research.
- Professional education and development for ethical practice.
- Curriculum and learning design and how technology supports pedagogy.
Her scholarship and research includes collaborative, reflexive and constructionist approaches to curriculum, pedagogy and assessment, facilitating integrative, anticipative and sustainable education and professional development, decolonizing and dialogical approaches to educational practice and research.
- Senior Lecturer, Curriculum & Learning Design
Curriculum Design Studios
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
Professional memberships and associations
Associate Fellow, Advance HE, (Indigenous) Recognition reference: PR190994
Vice President, Australian & NZ Social Work Welfare Education & Research (ANZSWWER)
Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA), Member.
Registered Teacher and Approved Supervisor, UK National Association for Family Therapy, Number 8/2006.
Health and Care Professions Council UK (HCPC), Past Registrant.
Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ASCILITE), Member.
Association for Learning Technology (ALT, UK), Member.
Registered Systemic Psychotherapist, UK Council for Psychotherapy (1996-2015)
PhD Northumbria University, School of Health, Social Work and Community Studies.
Master of Education in Digital Learning, Monash University.
Post Qualifying Post Graduate Diploma in (Systemic) Teaching, Training and Supervision, Northumbria University.
MA (Systemic Practice and Family Therapy) Northumbria University.
Post Qualifying Post Graduate Social Work Award (PGCCA), University of York.
Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE), Open University, UK.
Post Graduate Bachelor of Social Work, University of Western Australia.
Bachelor of Arts (Honours), University of Western Australia.
- Neden J, Boddy J, Ramsay S, (2021) An emerging future for work and education: implications for integrative learning in social work, Social Work Education.
- Neden J, (2022) Sustainable, agile technology navigation accessing virtuality for real-world learning: A SATNAV for social work educators, Social Work Education, 41 (2), pp. 195-208.
- Neden J, Cleak H, Thomson S, (2020) Towards Agility: Scaffolding Anticipative Education in Social Work, British Journal of Social Work, 50 (4).
- Neden J, Boddy J, Davies B, Hunt S, Young S, Wooler S, (2018) Designing integrative learning on placement: A study of student experiences, Advances in Social Work and Welfare Education, 20 (1), pp. 157-169.
- Neden J, Townsend R, Zuchowski I, (2018) Towards sustainability in Australian social work field education, Australian Social Work, 71 (3), pp. 345-357.
- Wells M, Bloomfield L, Whelan A, Neden J, (2016) Delivering a cost-effective relational educational group program for patient rehabilitation, Social Work Focus, 1 (1), pp. 58-59.
- Neden J, Barber J, Bradbury G, Cheung A, (2011) Bringing forth spirituality dialogues in family therapy education, Journal of Family Therapy, 33 (2), pp. 224-228.
- Neden J, (2011) Curating stories in teaching family therapy, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Family Therapy, 32 (3), pp. 220-236.
- Neden J, (2007) Assessment and reflexivity in family therapy training, Journal of Family Therapy, 27 (4), pp. 373-377.
- Neden J, Burnham J, (2007) Using relational reflexivity as a resource in teaching family therapy, Journal of Family Therapy, 29 (4), pp. 359-363.