This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyJan is one of the world’s leading researchers in architectural design psychology. His PhD traces phenomenological experience back to the neurological mechanisms that cause them. This is especially relevant for design and health, because the designed environment frequently has a powerful influence on the very symptoms that need to be treated.
Jan’s research experience places him at the centre of current thinking about design for health and wellbeing. He is on the editorial board of three academic journals and has guest edited a special edition on ‘Designing the Psychiatric Milieu’. In addition, Jan regularly judges the International Academy Awards for Design and Health, abstaining only when one of his own projects is nominated. He has won 16 awards for his publications and conference presentations. Furthermore, Jan was the research lead on a $1M international architectural competition. He serves as Adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Creative Industries at QUT, Brisbane.
Jan is internationally recognised as a popular keynote speaker and designer specialising in cultural understanding, patient-centred models of care, design psychology and all aspects of healthcare design.
Architecture, Design, Health, Healthcare, Psychiatric, Schizophrenia, Neuroscience
- PhD (University of New South Wales)
Professional memberships and associations
- Schizophrenia Research Institute
- Australian Healthcare Design College
- International Academy of Design & Health
- Australian Institute of Architects
- Center for Urban Design and Mental Health
- 2015 Al Wakra Centre for Respite and Recovery, Qatar - knowledge leader
- 2015 Counties Manakau Psychiatric Hospital, New Zealand - consultancy
- 2014 Woodlands Integrated Health Centre, Singapore - vision leadership
- 2014 Ang Ki Mui Aged Care Centre, Singapore - knowledge leader
- 2014 Mt Hagen Hospital, PNG - knowledge and culture leader
- 2014 Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital Masterplan - knowledge leader
- 2013 Westmead Health Precinct Masterplan - research leader
- 2013 Werribee Acute Mental Health Facility - consultancy
- 2006-7 Gosford Acute Mental Health Facility - lead design
- 2007 Bega/Pambula Hospital Masterplan
- 2007 Manangle Park Pace way, grandstand and associated buildings
- 2007 Parkes Senior Living Estate
- 2006 Springfield Hospital and Health Precinct Masterplan
- 2006 Mt Druitt Hospital extension
- 2006 Auburn Hospital enabling works
- 2006 University of Sydney Chemistry Labs
- 2006 Eastern Suburbs Early Youth Psychosis Support Centre