Dr Judith Oliver
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyJudith is the Field Education Coordinator for:
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Human Services
- Bachelor of Psychology / Bachelor of Social Work.
She also teaches across other units specifically related to human services practice.
Judith has an extensive human services background involving 17 years with the Department of Child Safety mostly involved in child protection work at the specialist Crisis Care unit as well as acting in positions of policy, liaison and management.
She has also been involved in the practice areas of:
- child and family therapy
- women's prison
- parent/adolescent conflict
- domestic violence.
Judith has a small private counselling practice specialising in relationships, anxiety and depression.
Previous research has focused on issues of child protection related to the giving of testimony by young children in the criminal court arena following disclosure of child sexual abuse.
Judith continues to advocate for the rights of young children involved in the criminal justice system.
While still pursuing her interest in children's rights both locally and globally, Judith is currently directing her research studies towards the links between university and industry in the context of professional practice.
She completed her Professional Doctorate in the area of teaching and learning, specifically in relation to the importance of the development of a personal and professional framework for practice.
- social justice and child rights internationally (links to East Timor)
- child rights with direct links to the criminal justice system
- professional practice and the development of a professional framework for practice
- qualitative data analysis.
Child protection, Children as witnesses in the criminal court arena, Professional practice for human services students
Sociology, Social Work
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Phd Doctor of Social Work (Queensland University of Technology)
- Masters Social Work (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
- Board Member - Holyoake: The Queensland Institute on Alcohol and Addictions Inc.
- Certification as a Mental Health Worker
- Member - Amnesty International
- Member - Defence of Children International
- Member - Australian Red Cross (Disaster Management Team)
- Member - Australian Institute of Welfare and Community Workers
- Member - Australian Association of Social Workers
- Member - Children on the Edge Aid Organisation.
- introductory and advanced field education
- developing frameworks for practice
- practice theories
- people, society and social work
- mental health.