Dr John McDonnell
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyJohn brings a wealth of experience to his role as Senior Lecturer in the School of Advertising, Marketing, and Public Relations. He has taught at universities in the USA, including Northwestern University most recently, Japan, Hong Kong, Canada, and Germany.
He has been a manager and company director with Comalco Aluminium Pty Ltd, Mitchell Plateau Bauxite Company, and Rio Tinto, as well as working as a manager with the United Nations World Food Program, UNICEF, and Care International.
John has also started up and run businesses in Australia and other countries including management consultancies and high-tech environmental products, and consulted to government departments, not-for-profit organisations, and companies in Australia and overseas.
- Sensorial marketing
- Customer service
- Public sector marketing
- Entertainment marketing
- Product placement
- Political marketing
- Waiting for service and customer satisfaction
- Climate change and marketing.
John is currently working on several projects including:
- Climate change, looking specifically at green marketing and labelling, in collaboration with Dr Jennifer Bartlett and students Chih Huang and Hugo Muianga (Queensland University of Technology).
- Entertainment marketing with PhD candidate Brett Plagens (Queensland University of Technology).
- Digitisation and movie marketing with Dr Jon Silver and Professor Stuart Cunningham (Queensland University of Technology).
- An independent music project with Creative Industries (Queensland University of Technology), investigating the marketing of small, independent music groups.
Future collaboration interests
John would like to conduct futher research in films, the music industry, and climate change and marketing.
- I.B.M. Award in Strategy Management
CLIMATE CHANGE AND MARKETING, ENTERTAINMENT MARKETING, MOVIE MARKETING, PRODUCT PLACEMENT, WAITING FOR SERVICE BY CUSTOMERS
Film, Television and Digital Media, Marketing
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy (University of Western Aust.)
- Master of Business Administration (University of Queensland)
- Introductory unit in marketing
- Strategic management, marketing management
- International marketing
- Entertainment marketing.