Ms Julia Mainstone
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyJulia Mainstone is an Associate Lecturer (Teaching Support) in the School of Optometry and Vision Science, QUT. She graduated with a Bachelor of Applied Science in Optometry from QUT in 1988, receiving first class honours. On the basis of her academic record, she was also awarded a University Medal. After graduating from university, Julia spent some time in private practice in both Australia and England. During her time in the UK, she also worked as a sessional optometrist in the Visual Assessment Department at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. Julia returned to QUT as a research optometrist in 1994, and for several years, was involved in research projects on corneal topography, the tear film, contact lenses and related topics. Julia has also worked on other major projects within the School, including:
- studies comparing the research performance of the School of Optometry, QUT, with the performance of other schools of optometry in Australia and the UK;
- development of the first Nationally Recognised Training eye health course for Indigenous health workers and eye health coordinators;
- development of QUT's Graduate Certificate in Ocular Therapeutics; and
- management and development of multimedia teaching resources for the School of Optometry and Vision Science.
In 2008, Julia was awarded a Vice-Chancellor's Performance Award.
Julia is a member of Optometry Australia, the Australian College of Optometry, the National Vision Research Institute of Australia and the College of Optometrists in the UK.
Ophthalmology and Optometry
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- BAppSc(Optom)(Hons) (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
- Optometry Australia
- Australian College of Optometry
- National Vision Research Institute of Australia
- The College of Optometrists (UK)
- OPB352 - Ocular Anatomy and Physiology 3
- OPB452 - Ocular Anatomy and Physiology 4
Previous Undergraduate Teaching
- OPB551 - Optometry 5
- Bruce A, Mainstone J, Golding T, (2001) Analysis of Tear Film Breakup on Etafilcon A Hydrogel Lenses, Biomaterials, pp. 3249-3256.
- Mainstone J, Carney L, Anderson C, Clem P, Stephensen A, Wilson M, (1998) Corneal Shape and Hyperopia, Clinical and Experimental Optometry, pp. 131-137.
- Golding T, Bruce A, Mainstone J, (1997) Relationship Between Tear-Meniscus Parameters and Tear-Film Breakup, Cornea, pp. 649-661.
- Carney L, Mainstone J, Carkeet A, Quinn T, Hill R, (1997) Rigid Lens Dynamics-Lid Effects, The CLAO Journal, pp. 69-77.
- Carney L, Mainstone J, Henderson B, (1997) Corneal Topography and Myopia, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, pp. 311-320.
- Carney L, Mainstone J, Carkeet A, Thomas Q, Hill R, (1996) The Influence of Centre of Gravity and Lens Mass on Rigid Lens Dynamics, C.L.A.O. Journal, pp. 195-204.
- Carney L, Mainstone J, Quinn T, Hill R, (1996) Rigid Lens Centration: Effect of Lens Design and Material Density, International Contact Lens Clinic, 23 (1), pp. 6-12.
- Bruce A, Mainstone J, (1996) Lens Adherence and Postlens Tear Film Changes in Closed Eye Wear of Hydrogel Lenses, Optometry and Vision Science, pp. 28-34.
- Mainstone J, Bruce A, Golding T, (1996) Tear Meniscus Measurement in the Diagnosis of Dry Eye, Current Eye Research, pp. 653-661.