Dr Jasmine Banks
Faculty of Engineering,
School of Electrical Engineering & Robotics
My present position is as a Lecturer in the School of Electrical Engineering and Robotics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Queensland University of Technology.
Research Interests and Experience
I am interested in electronics hardware, software and nitty-gritty, and love to “get stuff working”. Recently I have been playing around with Raspberry Pis, FPGA boards, and microcontrollers. My current research projects, and areas of experience are listed below. I welcome new students in these areas, and am excited by the prospect of working with students and colleagues to discover new knowledge. If you are interested in undertaking your PhD or Masters at QUT in these areas, please consider me to be part of your supervisory team!
Areas of current work and experience include:
- Field Programmable Gate Arrays and applications: I am interested in using FPGAs to implement algorithms for vision and signal processing, stereo vision, and machine learning.
- Image processing and computer vision, pattern recognition, tracking and stereo vision.
First Year Coordinator Role
My current service role, which I have undertaken since 2016, is First Year Coordinator for Engineering. Some of the duties associated with this role include:
- Being a point of contact for First Years, meeting students and giving academic advice, or directing them to the relevant people where needed.
- Promoting student development and welfare.
- Giving a presentation to new students at orientation.
- Sending a weekly newsletter to First Years with relevant information.
- Attending various meetings, including the Course Management Group, Examiners, Student Liaison and Industry Liaison meetings.
I use MailChimp to manage a weekly First Year newsletter during semester, which includes the following content:
- List of upcoming assessment due dates.
- Reminders of important University dates.
- List of upcoming Engineering Club events.
- A featured “Club of the Week”.
- Occasional messages from STIMulate, Academic Language and Learning Support, the Library, Counselling Services, and others.
- Advice about enrolment, at appropriate times during the semester.
Past Service Roles
2012-2013: Assistant Subject Area Coordinator for Electrical Engineering.
2008-2012: Subject Area Coordinator for Telecommunications, Software Engineering, Computer and Software Systems, and Double Degrees.
2001-2005: Research Fellow, Advanced Computational Modelling Centre, University of Queensland.
1999-2001: Postdoctoral Fellow, Fraunhofer Institute, Darmstadt, Germany.
Faculty of Engineering,
School of Electrical Engineering & Robotics
Computer Vision, Stereo Vision, Image Processing, FPGAs, Electronics, Indoor Positioning
Artificial Intelligence and Image Processing, Computer Hardware, Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology), BEng(Electronics)/BInfTech (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
- Graduate Member, Engineers Australia (GradIEAUST)
- Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE)
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (MIEEE)
Professional Service Roles:
- IEEE Queensland Section Treasurer, 2009-2010
- IEEE QUT Student Branch Counsellor 2006-2010
- A continuous record of excellent feedback on my teaching.
- Leadership and commitment to quality teaching.
- Strong passion for teaching and imparting knowledge.
- Commitment to student welfare and development.
- Experience in university teaching dating back to 2003.
Teaching Experience: My teaching experience is summarised below. This has included not only presenting lectures, but also development of resources including: lecture notes, tutorials, computer labs using circuit simulation tools (including LTSPice), practicals, Blackboard quizzes, and computer code (including Matlab, C and VHDL).
Units I have taught at Queensland University of Technology:
- EGH449 Advanced Electronics,2017–2020 (planned), Unit Coordinator.
- EGB348 Electronics, 2016–2020 (planned), Unit Coordinator.
- EGB240 Electronic Design, 2016–2018, 2020 (planned) Lecturer.
- ENB240 Introduction to Electronics, 2007–2016*, Unit Coordinator (2011-2016*), Lecturer (2007-2010).
- ENB243 Linear Circuits and Systems, 2007–2014, Unit Coordinator (2010-2014), Lecturer (2007-2009).
- ENB342 Signals Systems and Transforms, 2008–2011, 2015, Lecturer.
- ENB244 Microprocessors and Digital Systems, 2010–2011, Lecturer (2011), Tutor (2010).
- ENN520 Advanced Signal Processing and Systems, 2008, Lecturer.
- EEP102 Unix and C for Engineers, 2006–2008, Unit Coordinator.
- EEB640 Digital Signal Processing, 2007–2008, Lecturer.
- EEB440 Classical Signal Processing, 2006, Lecturer.
- EEB112 Electrical and Computer Engineering 1, 2006, Lecturer.
- EEB312 Analog and Digital Electronics, 2006, Lecturer.
* excluding 2014 when I was on maternity leave
Units I have taught at The University of Queensland:
- COMP4201 Advanced Computer Graphics, 2004–2005, Lecturer.
- MATH6006 Special Topics – C++ for Scientific Computing, 2005, Lecturer.
- MATH6006 Special Topics – Image Processing and Computer Vision, 2004, Lecturer.
- MATH4201 Applications of Scientific Computation, 2003, Lecturer.
- MATH3203 Visualisation and Modelling in Scientific Computing, 2003, Guest Lecturer.
- AL-Dulaimi K, Tomeo-Reyes I, Banks J, Chandran V, (2020) Evaluation and benchmarking of level set-based three forces via geometric active contours for segmentation of white blood cell nuclei shape, Computers in Biology and Medicine p1-15
- Al-Dulaimi K, Banks J, Nguyen Thanh K, Al-Sabaawi A, Tomeo-Reyes I, Chandran V, (2021) Segmentation of white blood cell, nucleus and cytoplasm in digital haematology microscope images: A review-challenges, current and future potential techniques, IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering p290-306
- Al-Dulaimi K, Chandran V, Nguyen Thanh K, Banks J, Tomeo-Reyes I, (2019) Benchmarking Hep-2 specimen cells classification using linear discriminant analysis on higher order spectra features of cell shape, Pattern Recognition Letters p534-541
- Macintosh H, Banks J, Kelson N, (2019) Implementing and evaluating an heterogeneous, scalable, tridiagonal linear system solver with OpenCL to target FPGAs, GPUs, and CPUs, International Journal of Reconfigurable Computing p1-13
- Al-Dulaimi K, Chandran V, Banks J, Tomeo-Reyes I, Nguyen Thanh K, (2018) Classification of white blood cells using bispectral invariant features of nuclei shape, Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA) p19-26
- Mohamed Abdul Cader A, Banks J, Tomeo-Reyes I, Chandran V, (2018) Contactless finger recognition using invariants from higher order spectra of ridge orientation profiles, Proceedings of the 2018 25th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP) p2012-2016
- Mohamed Abdul Cader A, Nguyen Thanh K, Banks J, Chandran V, (2018) Contactless multiple finger segments based identity verification using information fusion from higher order spectral invariants, Proceedings of AVSS 2018 15th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal-based Surveillance p265-270
- Algashaam F, Nguyen Thanh K, Chandran V, Banks J, (2017) Elliptical higher-order-spectra periocular code, IEEE Access p6978-6988
- Algashaam F, Nguyen Thanh K, Alkanhal M, Chandran V, Boles W, Banks J, (2017) Multispectral periocular classification with multimodal compact multi-linear pooling, IEEE Access p14572-14578
- Macintosh H, Warne D, Kelson N, Banks J, Farrell T, (2016) Implementation of parallel tridiagonal solvers for a heterogeneous computing environment, The ANZIAM Journal pC446-C462
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- A Novel Generalized Multilevel-Hybrid Chaotic Oscillator for Communication Systems (2020)
- Finger Biometric System Using Bispectral Invariants and Information Fusion Techniques (2019)
- Three-Dimensional Facial Tracker Using a Stereo Vision System (2019)
- Multispectral Techniques for Biometrics with Focus on Periocular Region (2018)
- Content-based Birdcall Retrieval from Environmental Audio (2016)
- The Unfinished Landscape: Fractal Geometry and the Aesthetics of Ecological Design (2012)