Professor Jennifer Abbey
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyProfessor Abbey was Queensland’s first Professor of Nursing (Aged Care) - a joint appointment between three partners:
- Queensland University of Technology’s School of Nursing
- The Prince Charles Hospital Health Service District
- Kedron-Wavell Services Club.
The needs of people with dementia has been an interest of Professor Abbey's for at least two decades.
She is the author of the Abbey Pain Scale, a scale designed to be used by all staff of Residential Aged Care Facilities (RACFs) to assist in assessing pain in people with dementia who cannot speak to make their needs known. The scale has been tested by the Australian Pain Society and they recommend its use in all RACFs.
- the provision of palliative care for people with end-stage-dementia
- the needs of people with dementia and their family in their social context
- consumer directed care
- the use of thickened fluids and supplements in residential care.
- $135,00 - Associate Professor Stephen Gibson, Professor Jenny Abbey, Dr Sandy Sacre, Associate Professor Christine Toye, Implementation of sustainable evidence-based practice for the assessment and management of pain in aged care residential facilities (RACFs), DoHa (QUT portion).
- $40,000 - Ms Gail Garvey, Professor Jenny Abbey, Dr Sandy Sacre, Ms Beryl Meiklejohn, Ms Jean Phillips, Ms Venessa Curnow, Assoc Professor Don Gorman, Ms Naomi Franks, Mr Peter O’Rourke, Understanding dementia in urban, rural and remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in Queensland, QUT for DCRC-CCSR.
- $71,032 - Professor Jenny Abbey, Dr Sandy Sacre, Ms Judy McCrow, Dr Elizabeth Whiting, Dr Shaun Pandy, Dr Deborah Parker, Understanding the barriers to recognition & management of delirium in the acutie post-surgical setting, The Prince Charles Hospital.
- $2.3 million - Abbey, J, Cliff, C , Pemberton, G and Abbey, B, Dementia Collaborative Research Centre for Consumers, Carers and Social Researachers, DoHA
- $2.7 million - Abbey, J, Cliff, C , Pemberton, G and Abbey, B, National Dementia Training Centre in partnership with UOW, DoHA.
- $17,406.39 - Abbey, J and Fottit, J., Eventide Education Program, Eventide and Ashworth House with Queensland Health.
- $1,100 - Abbey, J, Presentation for Alzheimer’s Australia, ‘Palliative Care and Dementia’ Pfizer Australia.
- $470,082 - Professor Jenny Abbey, Dr Sandy Sacre, Professor Helen Edwards, Ms Deborah Oxlade, Ms Stacey Hassell, Ms Elizabeth Palk, Professor Mary Courtney, Dr Elizabeth Whiting, Trial Of A Communty Model Of Care For People Through The Progression Of Dementia, JO & JR Wicking Trust (ANZ Bank).
- $5,042 - Abbey, J, Alzheimer’s Australia Position Paper #4, Alzheimer’s Australia.
- $6,128.10 - Abbey, Develop and Refine the Abbey Pain Scale, Mundipharma Pty.
- $38,000 - Abbey Jennifer, Cameron Grant, Courtney Mary, Edwards Helen, Parker Deborah, Yates Patsy , Develop, trial and evaluate a model of multi-disciplinary palliative care for residents with end-stage dementia. (Part-Funding) TPCH Foundation.
- $25,237 - Abbey, J and Abbey, B, To establish an evaluation system for the Integrated Dementia Pathway pilot trials in the three regional areas classified as remote, rural and large rural , QUT Strategic Links with Industry scheme.
- $7,985 - Abbey, J and Shuter, P, Caffeine and dehydration in elderly. Does using decaffeinated drinks make a difference to hydration? A pilot study in a residential aged care facility, QUT Strategic Links with Industry scheme.
- $5,000 - Abbey, J., Thronton, R, Lemke, P, Abbey, B and Elder, R, Aged care clinical placements through QUT - what works and what does not' work' 2003, grant from Aged Care Queensland.
- $23,000 - The wellness project 2003 PhD scholarship funded for three years by Kedron-Wavell Services Club, QUT Strategic links with Industry scheme.
Aged care nursing, Dementia, Palliative care (elderly)