Professor Huizhong Shen
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyDr. Huizhong Shen is Professor in Language Education at the Faculty of Education, Queensland University of Technology (QUT). He has a track record of developing and managing the international portfolio for the institutions he has been associated with. Prior to his appointment at QUT, Huizhong had a distinguished academic and international project development career at the University of Sydney in his roles as Director of China Education Centre, Associate Dean (International) at the Faculty of Education and Social Work, and Director, the University of Sydney Confucius Institute. During his decade long service at the University of Sydney, Huizhong was instrumental in assisting the University in its China-focused initiatives. The Master of Education in TESOL is one of the significant international projects he has designed for the University. It was the first transnational program that had been approved by Chinese Ministry of Education. The exemplary model has been copied by a number of Australian and UK universities. Huizhong had also served as Senior Language Adviser for Education Queensland before he joined the University of Sydney, and provided curriculum and pedagogical support to Chinese language teachers across the state of Queensland. Huizhong has undertaken research, PhD supervision and publications in language teacher education, cross-cultural pedagogies for language learning, language and identity and on-line language teaching and learning. Currently Professor Shen is the Lead Chief Investigator of a large Australia Research Council ($265,000) Linkage project (2010-2013): Images, perceptions and resources: enhancing Australia's role in China's English language education, and the second Lead Investigator of a large research proposal for an Australian Commonwealth government NALSSP project(2010-2012) Interactive web-based video teaching/learnibng platform for language skill development and intercultural understadning ($352,600). Professor Shen’s numerous publications include books, monographs, articles, and curriculum materials in print and CD-Rom. His recent publications include: Teaching academic writing (co-authored), Developments and prospects of English teaching in China (co-edited), Postmodernism and process pedagogy (sole authored) and Continuum companion to research methods in applied linguistics (co-authored). Huizhong is frequently invited as a keynote speaker at national and international conferences in Australia and China and he is also the lead writer of two Chinese national English textbook projects commissioned by two premier university publishers. Huizhong is regularly consulted by educational and government bodies in Australia and overseas on language education policy and practice, and international cooperation. Professor Shen’s academic credentials include a BA in English and English and American Literature from Fudan University, a BEd (1st Class Hons) in English/Applied Linguistics, a Graduate Diploma in Education (Languages) and a PhD in Education from La Trobe University.
Applied Linguistics, Foreign Language Teacher Education, Ict In Language Learning, Language Curriculum And Pedagogy, Language Teacher Professional Development, Researching Chinese English, Tesol And Languages
Curriculum and Pedagogy, Language Studies, Linguistics
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (La Trobe University)
Professional memberships and associations
Expert Panel Member of NSW Premier’s Kingold Chinese Teachers Scholarship External Panel Member of Chinese Government Scholarships for Private Students Member of International Applied Linguistics Association Member of Editorial Board of the Series of Intercultural Communication Research Book, China Association for Intercultural Communication Studies & Higher Education Press Member of the Editorial Board of the University of Sydney TESOL Paper Member of the Editorial Board of the Series of Intercultural Communication Books, Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press Member of the Advisory Body of Shanghai International Studies Association Committee Member, Australian Society of Technology and Science, Sydney NSW Committee Member, Chinese Australian Academics Society, Sydney University Branch Member of Queensland-China Council Cultural and Educational Sub-Committee (1997-1999), Queensland, Australia Member of National Consultative Group for NALSAS Chinese language CO-ROM Project (1998-1999) State Accredited Provider of Professional Development Chinese Language Education and Pedagogy, Education Queensland (1996-1999) Chair of Chinese Language Teacher Interview Panel, Education Queensland (1996-1999) QLD State Review Panellist of Chinese (1992-1999) NAATI Accredited Level 3 Professional Translator
TEACHING Professor Shen is an experienced classroom practitioner with a teaching career spanning over three decades. He has undertaken teaching at the school and university level in Australia and overseas and has taught in a number of leading institions like Fudan University, Brisbane Grammar School and the University of Sydney. The university courses he has taught include: Bachelor of Education (Languages teacher education) - Introduction to Teaching Languages - Teaching Macro Skills in Languages - Bilingualism and Bilingual Education - Computer and Technology in Languages - Teaching Languages in Primary Schools - Language Policy and Syllabus Studies - Materials and Tasks in Language Teaching - Teacher Competency in Languages - LOTE Option Course (primary method) - LOTE Option Course (secondary method) Master of Teaching (Languages teacher education) - Teaching Languages in Australian Schools (Bridging) - Units of Study for Core Languages Year 1 - Units of Study for Core Languages Year 2 Postgraduate programs (TESOL) - Contemporary Developments in ELT - Language Teacher Professional Development - English for Specific Purposes - Principles of English Language Teaching - Working in Language Teacher Development - Teacher Research in the Language Classroom - Languages in Primary and Elementary Grades - Materials and Tasks for ELT - Elective: Role Play and Simulation RESEARCH SUPERVISION Professor Shen has supervised numerous masters and PhD theses on a range of topics in applied linguistics, education and sociology. Doctoral research supervison completions include: 2010 - Perceptions, practices and contexts: Self construction and transformation of English teachers from a north-eastern Chinese university 2010 - Developing English literacy via a literary text-based approach in a Chinese elementary EFL classroom 2010 - Chinese PhD thesis acknowledgement: A communities of practice perspective (with Prof Brian Paltridge) 2009 - Uses of discourse markers in a Chinese English TV show: A comparative analysis 2008 - Pragmatics and pedagogy: An examination of College English teaching in China 2007 - A Critical discourse analysis of the Hong Kong English Extensive Reading Scheme (with Dr Alison Simpson) 2006 - Impact of computer assisted language learning on Korean university EFL students reading class 2005 - Teachers cognition and practice in Korean secondary classrooms: A case study 2004 - Student target-language use in beginner classrooms 2001 - Mature language learners Master of Education Dissertation completions include: Intercultural synaisthesis’ in the intercultural approach: the empowering synthesis in foreign/second language education, a strategy for the promotion of linguistic and cultural diversity in the postmodern era Chinese students’ out-of-class English learning experience and their perceptions of extracurricular activities Using portfolio to teach writing to Chinese EFL students Place, self-image and identity development: A sociological study A study of English vocabulary development of Chinese students The University of Sydney students’ perceptions towards non-native speakers' English Currently Professor Shen is supervising six PhD candidates on the following projects: Pragmatics, perceptions and strategies in Chinese College English learning Learning Chinese as a heritage language in Australia: Social identity and investment (with Dr Karen Dooley) Learner autonomy, motivation and performance: College English learning in extra-curricula contexts Discourses of care in higher education and the constitution of international student identities (with Dr Jo Lampert) Cultural conversions in translation: Memoirs of a Geisha Blog Professional Learning Community as an Alternative Means for EFL Teachers’ Professional Development in ICT Integration
- Professor/Assistant Dean (I&E), Faculty of Education, Queensland University of Technology - A/Professor/Associate Dean (International), Faculty of Education & Social Work, University of Sydney - Director, Confucius Institute, University of Sydney - Director, China Education Centre, University of Sydney - Adjunct Professor, Foreign Languages Department, Xi’an Petroleum University, China - Senior Lecturer in TESOL, Faculty of Education & Social Work, University of Sydney - Lecturer in TESOL/Languages, Faculty of Education, University of Sydney - Senior Chinese Language Adviser, Queensland LOTE Centre, Education Queensland, Brisbane - Chair, LOTE Chinese proficiency & methodology interviews, Brisbane - Contract Professional Translator, Department of Immigration & Multicultural Affairs, Brisbane - Chinese Language Teacher, Brisbane Grammar School, Brisbane - Chinese Language Coordinator, Victoria School of Modern Languages, Melbourne - Community Liaison Officer, Preston College, Melbourne - Lecturer in English, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
- Shen H, Yuan Y, (2009) Pedagogy, practice and students' motivation: Voices from college English classrooms, Developments and Prospects of English Teaching in China.
- Shen H, (2009) Problematising research on Chinese English: Issues, stances and reconceptualisation, Developments and Prospects of English Teaching in China.
- Shen H, (2008) Postmodernism and process pedagogy: A cross-cultural perspective, Fudan University Press.
- Shen H, Yan Y, (2009) Developments and prospects of English teaching in China, Fudan University Press.
- Zhong Y, Shen H, (2002) Where is the technology-induced pedagogy? Snapshots from two multimedia EFL classrooms, British Journal of Educational Technology, 33 (1), pp. 39-52.
- Shen H, (2003) Embracing technology: learning a foreign language in multimedia environments, Babel, 37 (3), pp. 17-22.
- Lim K, Shen H, (2006) Integration of computers into an EFL reading classroom, ReCALL, 18 (2), pp. 212-229.
- Peiying J, Shen H, (2006) Putting pragmatics back into College English teaching: A textbook analysis, Presented at: Educational Research Association of Singapore Conference 2006, pp. 36.
- Harbon L, Shen H, (2010) Researching language classrooms, Continuum Companion to Research Methods in Applied Linguistics, pp. 274-285.
- Paltridge B, Harbon L, Hirsh D, Shen H, Stevenson M, Phakiti A, Woodrow L, (2009) Teaching Academic Writing: An Introduction for Teachers of Second Language Writers.
- Images, Perceptions and Resources: Enhancing Australia's Role in China's English Language Education
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Web Based Learning; China; TEFOL; ICT and Education