Dr Gillian Hallam
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyDr Gillian Hallam is Adjunct Professor in the Library and Information Science discipline. In 2017 she was made Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA). Her teaching experience - which has been recognised through a number of teaching and learning awards - encompassed the areas of information organisation, information retrieval, reference and information services, professional practice, law librarianship and evidence based library and information practice. Gillian brings an evidence based practice approach to her research activities which have included the neXus workforce planning study of the library sector in Australia and a diverse range of projects with academic libraries, National and State libraries, government libraries and health libraries. Her interests in eLearning led to Gillian being appointed project leader for the ALTC-funded Australian ePortfolio Project and she is currently supporting the ePortfolio activities at Southern Cross University. Gillian has a strong international profile: in 2011 she was Guest Professor with Hochschule der Medien in Stuttgart, Germany, and for the past few years she has been working with the International Federation of Libary Associations (IFLA) to develop and deliver the international training programs - International Advocacy Programme and Building Strong Library Associations. Gillian has an active professional life, having served on the Board of the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) as Director and as President. She also serves on the Standing Committee for IFLA's Section for Education and Training. Gillian is Fellow of ALIA and in 2011 the Special Libraries Association (SLA) Australia-New Zealand Chapter named her Information Professional of the Year.
- Research Support Services for Academic & Special Libraries
- Legal Research for Law Librarianship
- Evidence Based Library and Information Practice
Over the years, I have taught a wide spectrum of library and information science topics:
- Information organisation
- Information retrieval
- Reference and information services
- Collection management and access
- Professional practice
- Designing and developing eServices
I am involved in delivering a range of professional workshops, including:
- Library associations: strategic planning, operational planning, financial planning
- eBook policy and practice
- Train the trainer
- Developing a mentoring program
- State Library of Victoria: Our Future, Our Skills. Workforce planning study for public libraries in Victoria
- Australian Government Library and Information Network (AGLIN): Commonwealth Government Agencies Library Review
- Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA): Review of LIS course accreditation
- National and State Libraries Australasia (NSLA): Libraries as learning insitutions
- Council of Australian University Librarians (CAUL): eTextbooks and third party eLearning products and their implications for Australian university libraries
- Queensland Department of the Premier and Cabinet: Queensland Government Agency Libraries Review
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT): QUT Library Staff Development Review
- Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA): Review of library technician education in Australia
- Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), Health Libraries Australia (HLA): neXus3: An investigation into the skills and qualifications required for health librarians in Australia
- Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA): neXus2: An examination of the workforce planning and staff development policies and practices in Australian libraries
- Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA): neXus: An investigation into the library and information services workforce in Australia.
Further information and links to the project reports can be found at my website: www.gillianhallam.com.au.