Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Law
BiographyFiona is an Associate Professor at the QUT Law School at Queensland University of Technology. Fiona is also an Adjunct Associate Professor at the Department of Bioethics, Dalhousie University, Canada, a Senior Research Fellow at the New Zealand Centre for Public Law at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand and is a member of Dalhousie University's Technoscience and Regulation Research Unit. Fiona is a Co-Director of the Australian Centre for Health Law Research. Prior to her appointment Fiona was a research associate at the Health Law Institute at Dalhousie University, Canada and a legal advisor to New Zealand’s Health and Disability Commissioner. Her research focuses on legal and ethical issues in relation to the governance of health systems. It has four broad themes:
- the governance of health systems (including public and environmental health);
- the governance of health organisations;
- the governance of health professionals and the health workforce; and
- the governance of health technologies.
- Health governance
- Health systems law and policy
- Rural bioethics
- Medical Research Council (UK) Global Challenges Research Fund (2021-2024) £1.61 million. Factors affecting childhood exposures to urban particulates. (Horwell, Covey, McDonald, Pelupessy, Dhimal, Sagala, Sofyan, Suroso, Cowie, Loh, Galea et al (McDonald, international collaborator)).
- Queensland Genomics Health Alliance (2017-2019) $480,000 Implementation of Genomics into Queensland Healthcare: ethical, legal and social implications and policy challenges (N Waddell, QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute, (B Bennett QUT, J Devereux, The University of Queensland) and F McDonald, et al.
National Health and Medical Research Council (2013-2018) $2.5 million Centre for Research Excellence in End-of-Life Care, (P Yates, G Mitchell, D. Currow, K. Eagar, H. Edwards, G. Gardner, L. Willmott, A. Bonner, R. Clark, J Tieman, (CIs), McCaffrey, Johnson, Beattie, McCarthy, Broom, White, McDonald (AIs)).
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research Operating Grant (2011-2016) $442,066 (CD) Articulating Standards: translating the practices of standardizing health technologies (Professor J. Graham, Dalhousie University (PI), Professor R. Darnell, University of Western Ontario, Dr C. Holmes, CNRS Centre National de la Recherché Scientique, France; Dr M. Jones, ECHO: Women's Health, and Dr F. McDonald, Queensland University of Technology.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research Meetings, Planning and Dissemination Grant: Health Services and Policy Research (2010) $17,000 (CD) Articulating Standards and Practices of Health Regulation: A Grant Writing Workshop (J. Graham (P.I), R Darnell, C Holmes, M Jones, F McDonald, V Ozdemir, C. Stephens)
- Australia Indonesia Governance Research Partnership (2009) $61,720 Evidence-Based Decision Making to Reform Governance at the District Level: The Case of Nutritional Policies, Programs and Interventions in Bantul and Gunungkidul (F. McDonald & A. Yoganingrum (PIs), F. Purwaningrum, D. Ariani)
- Associate Professor
Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Law
health governance, health professional regulation, health systems law and policy, health workforce governance, organisational ethics, patient safety, rural bioethics, rural health, ACHLR
Law, Applied Ethics, Policy and Administration
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- JSD - Doctoral in Science (Dalhousie University Canada)
- Master of Laws (Dalhousie University Canada)
Professional memberships and associations
- Co-Director of the Australian Centre for Health Law Research
- Member of Dalhousie University's Technoscience and Regulation Research Unit.
LWN164 Health Law and Ethics
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Intention to migrate to Australia: a mixed-method study of Indian physicians and nurses (2016)
- Still Waiting: Is It Time to Empower Patients with an Enforceable Right to Timely Elective Surgery? (2016)
- A values analysis of attitudes towards the use of law to prevent obesity: How might these values inform public health law theory and practice? (2015)
- The Governance of human resources in the Vietnamese healthcare system: A critical analysis of maternity services (2015)