Ms Deborah Messer
Design Practice and Management, Environmental Engineering
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- MEd (Queensland University of Technology)
- Bachelor of Photography (Griffith University)
- BSc(Geology) (University of Queensland)
- Coordinate and deliver civil engineering and urban development subjects including civil and construction materials and business units involving communication, ethics, professionalism including social and corporate responsibility and sustainability in the built environment
- Coordinate Final Year Civil Engineering Project Thesis units
- Responsible for the implementation curriculum improvements and the implementation of the Review of Engineering Education 1996, (Changing the Culture: Engineering Education in the Future).
Teaching and Learning activities (see teaching)
- Research assistant on ARC Linkage Grant Project researching Innovation in National Infrastructure Projects (specifically barriers to innovation).
Management and Administration activities
- Responsible for realigning job responsibilities; collaborative management style; creating training and incentive programs.
- Staff recruitment, motivation, supervision and training.
- Program planning, coordination, monitoring and evaluating.
- Ability to complete complex and demanding projects with limited resources whilst completing projects within the confined parameters.
- Ability to intervene, resolve crisis and conflict situations, provide appropriate responses to career and guidance counselling.
- Chair meetings with Academics, Industry representatives, Consultants.
- Reply to correspondence, queries and distributing information.
- Track student progression, audit quality and counsel students
- Design and implement operational and administrative procedures and create appropriate responses to inquiries in an industry environment
- Manage a number of sessional staff members
- Women in Leadership Program (QUT)
- Various committees including Teaching & Learning, Student Services Committee, Equity Committee (Chair for a number of years), Community Services, and CLU (Coordinators Large Units) Project Member
Engineers Australia (EA) (1994 – 2003)
- Congress Member, Engineers Aust 1998, 2002 and 2003
- Deputy Convenor & Convenor National Women in Engineering Committee
(National Convenor elect 1997, Convenor 1998 and 2002 - 2003)
- Chair Organising Committee, Women in Engineering Forum, 2001, QUT.
- National Women in Engineering Committee Qld Rep., Canberra (1989 – 2003)
- Chair, Organising Committee, Engineering 2000 Awards Darwin, 1996, 1998 and 1999
- Review of Engineering Education, 1996.
- Board member, Member Services, Canberra.
- Qld Division Committee Member 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002.
- Taskforce member, Continuing Professional Development (competency based assessment)
- Taskforce member, Ethics Committee.
- Taskforce member, National Structure & Organisation Arrangements.
- Member Strategic Planning Committee
National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) (1995-2000)
- Executive Board position - Treasurer, Brisbane Chapter
- Deputy President
- Education board, National Committee, Melbourne
Prior to 1988
Industry experience as Project Manager (Consultant) and Geologist with Shell Australia, Brisbane and later Santos Ltd, Adelaide and financial manager for wholesale warehousing/distribution business managing logistics to accounts and stocks through to IT.