Adjunct Associate Professor
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyResearch themes: energy, health
Research program: Synthesis and Molecular Recognition
Conjugated porphyrin oligomers
In natural photosynthesis, arrays of many porphyrin molecules are used to capture and convert solar energy into chemical energy.
We are interested in creating similar arrays joined by covalent bonds, specifically where there is strong electronic communication between the porphyrins.
These substances should have applications in molecular electronic devices.
Synthesis and Applications of Novel Azoporphyrinoids
Multiporphyrin molecules linked by aza (N2) bridges offer the strongest interaction between the porphyrins (see above project).
We are synthesizing a variety of N-substituted porphyrins and multiporphyrins using metal-catalysis, and developing this rather unexplored field of porphyrin chemistry for applications in photomedicine and molecular electronics.
Areas of expertise
- Porphyrins and related macrocycles
- Organic chemical synthesis
- Organometallic chemistry.
Selected research projects
- Conjugated porphyrin oligomers
- Synthesis and applications of novel azoporphyrinoids
- New synthetic methods for substituted porphyrins.
- 1972: Bachelor of Science (Honours), The University of Queensland
- 1975 - 1977: Post-doctoral research at the University of Sussex
- 1976: PhD, The University of Queensland
- 1977 - 1982: Post-doctoral research at the Australian National University
- 1984: Appointed to a Lectureship at the then Queensland Institute of Technology
- 2005: DSc, Queensland University of Technology.
- 2006: Senior Lecturer then Associate Professor at Queensland University of Technology.
- Visiting Fellowships at the Australian National University, Central Queensland University and Tokyo Metropolitan University.
Chemistry - organometallic, Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, Organic chemical synthesis, Porphyrins & related macrocycles
Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry (incl. Structural)
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Science (Queensland University of Technology)
- PhD (University of Queensland)
- BSc(Hons) (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
- Organic and organometallic chemistry