Professor Chris Eves
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyBroad area of research: Infrastructure
Main areas of research
- Investment performance of property assets, with a focus on rural property and timberland. This research covers the major agricultural land markets of Australia, New Zealand, UK, US and Canada.
- Housing market research with a strong emphasis on value determinants and residential property affordability and capital return performance.
- Impact of natural disasters on property markets and property values, especially in relation to flooding and bushfires.
- Sustainable property and added value of "green" housing and property attributes, and sustainable rural property development and management.
- Real estate agency and valuation practice from both an Australian and international perspective, with a strong focus on methodology and accuracy.
- Business valuation practice and methodologies.
- 2008: "Developing a New Zealand Rural Land Investment Performance Index"
- 2008: "Market acceptance and perceived added value of “green” residential houses and units"
- 2007: With Brent Nahkies. "Overview of heritage buildings in Christchurch: Earthquake issues"
- 2003: "Assessing the investment performance of rural land in Australia"
- 2002: With Graeme Newell. "Developing a NSW rural property investment index"
- 1997: With Peter Wills "Private use of public land"
- 1996: "Changes in rural land use and performance in central NSW"
Selected list of awarded grants
- 2004: The development and implementation of income valuation methods for rural valuation practice
Awards and recognitions
- 2008: Property Institute of New Zealand Academic Award
- 2004: Australian Property Institute. Voluntary Service Award
- 2004: Peter Barrington Gold Medal Award. This is a national and the most prestigious award given by the Australian Property Institute for the best property research thesis undertaken in Australia
- 1999: University of Western Sydney-Hawkesbury, Faculty of Management, “New Researcher” award
- 1999: Peter Barrington Gold Medal Award. This is a national and the most prestigious award given by the Australian Property Institute for the best property research thesis undertaken in Australia.
- Jul 2006 - Feb 2009: Professor of Property Studies, Head of Group, Lincoln University
- Jan 2006 - Jul 2006: Associate Head of School, Economics and Finance, University of Western Sydney
- 2001 - 2005: Senior Lecturer in Property and Valuation-University of Western Sydney. Head of Program (Property) for the period 2001-2005
- 1993 - 2000: Lecturer in Property and Valuation-University of Western Sydney. Course Co-ordinator (Internal 1996-2000)
- 1992 - 1993: Credit Administrator Rural. This position involved the credit decision and prudential controls on the State Bank’s retail and corporate rural portfolios.
- 1991 - 1992: Regional Agribusiness Manager-South West region State Bank of NSW
- 1978 - 1990: State Bank of NSW, Valuation Department with positions from Assistant Valuer to Regional Valuer.
Commercial Services, Building, Urban and Regional Planning
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (University of Western Sydney)
Professional memberships and associations
- Rural property valuation
- Property economics
- Valuation of residential, industrial, commercial and specialist property
- Property portfolio and asset management
- Property market analysis
- Business valuation
- Research methods.
Editorial board/referee panel appointments
- Australian Land Economics Review
- Pacific Rim Property Research Journal
- Australian Journal of Construction Economics and Building
- Australian and New Zealand Property Journal (Editor Academic Refereed Paper section)
- Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors - Research Series
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors “Roots Conference” Scientific panel
- International Editor, Malaysian Journal of Real Estate
External board and committee appointments
- 2009-2011: Visiting Professor, University Technology Malaysia
- 2005-2008: RICS External Examiner. University of South Australia
- 2005-2008: RICS External Examiner. Queensland University of Technology
- 2007, 2008, 2009: Secretary Pacific Rim Real Estate Society
- 2006: Treasurer Pacific Rim Real estate Society
- 2005, 2006: EPSRC International Network on Flood Damage and Repair
- 2004, 2005, 2006: Director Pacific Rim Real Estate Society.
- Eves C, (2010) NSW rural land performance: 1990-2008, Journal of Veterinary Science, 18 () p85
- Eves C, (2009) Assessing the impact of streetscape on residential property in lower to middle socio-economic areas, Presented at: Annual European Real Estate Society Conference (16th) p1
- Eves C, Kippes S, (2010) Public awareness of 'green' and 'energy efficient' residential property: An empirical survey based on data from New Zealand, Property Management, 28 (3) p193
- Nartea G, Eves C, (2010) Role of farm real estate in a globally diversified asset portfolio, Journal of Property Investment and Finance, 28 (3) p198
- Eves C, (2009) Residential property market performance in a declining market: Christchurch case study, Australia and New Zealand Property Journal, 2 (4) p226
- Eves C, (2007) Planned residential community developments: do they add value?, Property Management, 25 (2) p164
- Painter M, Eves C, (2008) The financial gains from adding farmland to an international investment portfolio, Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, 14 (1) p63
- Nartea G, Eves C, (2008) Diversification benefits from New Zealand real estate, Pacific Rim Property Research Journal, 14 (1) p27
- Eves C, Painter M, (2008) A comparison of farmland returns in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and United States, Australian and New Zealand Property Journal, 1 (7) p588
- Newell G, Eves C, (2009) The role of U.S. timberland in real estate portfolios, Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, 15 (1) p95