Dr Cara Wrigley
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
Dr Cara Wrigley is Associate Professor Design Innovation at The University of Sydney, residing in the Design Lab - an interdisciplinary research group within the School of Architecture, Design and Planning. She is an Industrial Designer who is actively researching the value that design holds in business – specifically through the creation of strategies to design business models which lead to emotive customer engagement. Her primary research interest is in the application and adoption of design innovation methods by various industry sectors in order to better address customer latent needs. Her work to date has crossed research boundaries and appears in a wide range of disciplinary publications.
Prior to this appointment in 2017 she spanned the School of Design and the Information Systems School at the Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, as the research leader of a newly formed discipline, Design- led Innovation. Building on her solid practical industry experience and combining this with her scholarly understanding of emotional design she is developing a unique insight into Design Innovation contributions to both industry and academia in this area.
Her experience spans across working with start up’s companies, small to medium size enterprises (SME’s) and the multi-national corporate sector, by embedding herself within industry she brings theoretical approaches back to rigorous academic research. In her time in academia and industry she has seen the transformation of her foundational discipline of industrial design start to shift from that, which focuses on consumer product design to a trans-discipline.
Design-led Innovation, Design Thinking, Emotional Design
Design Practice and Management, Engineering Design
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology)
- BDesSt (Griffith University)
- Bachelor of Built Environment (Industrial Design) (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
- Member of the Design Management Institute
- Member of the International Design and Emotion Society
- Member of the Design Institute of Australia
- Price R, Wrigley C, Straker K, (2015) Not just what they want, but why they want it: traditional market research to deep customer insights, Qualitative Market Research, 18 (2) p230
- Straker K, Wrigley C, Rosemann M, (2015) The role of design in the future of digital channels: Conceptual insights and future research directions, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 26 () p133
- Straker K, Wrigley C, Rosemann M, (2015) Typologies and touchpoints: designing multi-channel digital strategies, Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 9 (2) p110
- Wrigley C, (2015) Research in design for innovation, industry and impact, Journal of Design, Business and Society p115
- Bryant S, Wrigley C, (2014) Driving toward user-centered engineering in automotive design, Design Management Journal, 9 (1) p74
- Brunswicker S, Wrigley C, Bucolo S, (2013) Business model experimentation: What is the role of design-led prototyping in developing novel business models?. In M Curley & P Formica, The experimental nature of new venture creation: Capitalizing on open innovation 2.0 [Innovation, Technology, and Knowledge Management series], Springer p139
- Wrigley C, (2013) Design dialogue: The visceral hedonic rhetoric framework, Design Issues, 29 (2) p82
- Bucolo S, Wrigley C, Matthews J, (2012) Gaps in organizational leadership: Linking strategic and operational activities through design-led propositions, Design Management Journal, 7 (1) p18
- Wrigley C, Bucolo S, (2011) Teaching design led innovation: The future of industrial design, Design Principles and Practices, 5 (2) p231
Completed supervisions (Masters by Research)
- User Centred Engineering in Automotive Design: A shift from technology-driven product development (2015)
- From Styling to Strategy: Transforming an Australian Manufacturing SME's Perception of Design (2014)
- Shifting from Production to Purpose: Facilitating Design-Led Change in a Small Family-Owned Enterprise (2014)
- The Emergent Imperatives from a Design-Led Innovation Engagement within the Mining Industry (2014)
- Unpacking the opportunities for change within a family owned manufacturing SME: A design led innovation case study. (2013)