Dr Chandan Kumar
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
- Drying or dehydration is widely used in numerous industries, such as food, grain, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, wood and paper industries. However, energy efficiency and product quality are two major concerns during drying of fruits, vegetables, grain and other agricultural products. Dr Kumar is currently working on various drying techniques to improve energy efficiency and product quality during drying. During his PhD, he has extensively worked on an advanced drying technology called Intermittent Microwave Convective Drying (IMCD) which can significantly reduce drying time and improve energy efficiency.
- Mathematical modeling and simulation: Dr Kumar’s research involves mathematical modeling of heat and mass transfer, food drying, microwave heating, solar drying. He has developed multicomponent, multiphase porous media models to investigate heat and mass transfer during convection and microwave assisted drying. The models can predict the temperature and moisture distribution inside the product.
- Food quality analysis: Quality of the food products is a great concern for any processed or dried food. Our group can investigate various quality attributes of food products, such as, nutrition (Vitamin C, Carotenoid), microstructure, texture, GCMS flavour analysis, colour, porosity, microstructure etc.
- CFD and microfluidic device simulation to investigate the magnetic manipulation of flow and particles.
Heat and Mass Transfer, Advance Drying Technology, Microwave Heating or Drying, Numerical Modelling and FEA Simulation, Computational Fluid Dynamics(CFD), Multiphase Porous Media, Mechanical Design (CAD), Post-harvest Processing
Mechanical Engineering, Numerical and Computational Mathematics, Food Sciences
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
- Bachelor of Science (Bangladesh Uni. of Engineering and Technology)
- Dynamics of Machines
- Thermodynamics 2
- Research Fellow, School of Chemistry, Physics and Mechanical Engineering, Queensland University of Technology, Australia.
- CAD Designer, Control Tech, Australia
- Sessional Academic, School of Chemistry, Physics and Mechanical Engineering, Queensland University of Technology, Australia.
- Operation and Maintenance Engineer, Summit Power Limited (a 102MW Power Generation Plant)
- Application Engineer, Ace Controls Limited
- Trainee Engineer, Rural Power Company Limited (a 210 MW combined cycle power plant)