Dr Brian Lee
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyBrian has been a lecturer and a senior lecture in Civil and Transport Engineering at QUT since 2010. His current research areas include:
Travel mode choice and traveller user behaviour
- Transit accessibility and connectivity
- Transit user route choice
- Spatial-temporal and cognitive analysis of transit travel pattern
Autonomous vehicle and traffic management for connected vehicles environments
- Adaptive speed guidance for connected vehicles
- Machine learning based driving speed optimisation in signalised intersection
Natural disasters mitigation and emergency information
- Decision making modelling and analysis
- User behaviour studies
Transport systems modelling and analysis
- Parking pricing and choice modelling
- Intelligent transport systems
- Traffic control and signal systems
- Intelligent Transportation Systems Society of Canada, Michael Van Aerde Scholarship, 2004
- University of Toronto Allan Tonks Scholarship, 2001
2013 - present
Senior Lecturer, Civil and Transport Engineering, Queensland University of Technology
2010 – 2012
Lecturer, Civil/Transport Engineering, Queensland University of Technology
2007 – 2010
Research Associate, Bureau of Intelligent Transportation Systems and Freight Security, University of British Columbia, Canada
2000 – 2007
Graduate Student Researcher, University of Toronto, Canada
2005 – 2006
Transportation Systems Analyst, LEA Ltd., Canada
1996 – 1998
Research Fellow, Ajou University
Transport planning and user behaviour, Autonomous vehicle and traffic management for connected vehicles environment, Natural disasters mitigation and decision making analysis, Transport systems and users modelling and analysis
- ENB 376 Transport Engineering
- EGB379 Advanced Transport Engineering
- EGH472 Advanced Highway and Pavement Engineering
- EGB381 Infrastructure Asset Management
- EGB272 Traffic and Transport Engineering
- Urban traffic modelling and control
- Traffic state and congestion estimation
- Travel behaviour and mode choice
- Autonomous vehicle control
- Parking pricing and behaviour models
- Transit system operation and assessment
2010 ~ 2012 Lecturer in Transport Engineering and Planning / Domain Leader, Network Efficiency and Reliability, Smart Transport Research Centre
- Motorway ramp metering
- Variable speed limit
- Adaptive traffic signal control for motorway interchanges
2007 ~ 2010 Research Associate, Bureau of ITS and Freight Security
- Vehicular Telematics over WiFi and WiMax Multihop Networks
- Dynamic Weight Threshold Strategy for Improved Capacity of Commercial Vehicle Weigh Station
- Benefit Analysis of Electronic Commercial Vehicle Screening at Weigh Stations
- Simulation Modeling of Truck Weigh and Credential Screening System
- Applying Supply Chain Logistics Modeling to Border Security and Efficiency: FAST case
- Regulations and Initiatives Affecting Secure, Efficient and Safe Cross-border Freight Movements
- Review of Advanced Technologies with Application to the Security and Efficiency of Cross-Border Freight Movements
2000 ~ 2007 Graduate Student Researcher, University of Toronto
- Development of Intelligent Transit Signal Priority Algorithm
- Simulation Modeling and Evaluation of Transit Signal Priority Measures in Toronto
- Genetic Algorithm based Traffic Signal Timing Optimization for Adaptive Traffic Control
- Lee B, Jaeckel K, Choi K, Chow G, (2013) Commercial vehicle pre-clearance programs: Current issues and recommendations for potential implementation, Transport Policy, 27, pp. 92-101.
- Lee B, Shalaby A, (2013) Rule-based transit signal priority control method using a real-time transit travel time prediction model, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 40 (1), pp. 68-75.
- Lee B, Chow G, (2012) Adaptive metering algorithm for electronic commercial vehicle preclearance systems, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 13 (3), pp. 1116-1124.
- Qian G, Lee B, Chung E, (2012) Algorithm for queue estimation with loop detector of time occupancy in off-ramps on signalized motorways, Transportation Research Record, 2278, pp. 50-56.
- Mousavi Yeganeh S, Bunker J, Lee B, (2012) Trip generation in Australia: Practical issues, Road and Transport Research, 21 (4), pp. 24-37.
- Lee B, Chow G, (2011) Operation analysis of the electronic screening system at a commercial vehicle weigh station, Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 15 (2), pp. 91-103.
- Shalaby A, Lee B, Greenough J, Bowie M, Hung S, (2006) Development, evaluation, and selection of advanced transit signal priority concept directions, Journal of Public Transportation, 9 (5), pp. 97-120.
- Lee B, Shalaby A, Greenough J, Bowie M, Hung S, (2005) Advanced transit signal priority control with online microsimulation-based transit prediction model, Transportation Research Record, 1925, pp. 185-194.
- Lee B, Abdulhai B, Shalaby A, Chung E, (2005) Real-time optimization for adaptive traffic signal control using genetic algorithms, Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 9 (3), pp. 111-122.
- Shalaby A, Abdulhai B, Lee B, (2003) Assessment of streetcar transit priority options using microsimulation modelling, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 30 (6), pp. 1000-1009.
Selected research projects
- A novel integrated motorway management system for less congested, more reliable and safer motorways
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Intelligent Transport Systems; Congestion Management; Ramp Metering; Variable Speed Limit; Traffic Safety; Traffic Simulation
Projects listed above are funded by Australian Competitive Grants. Projects funded from other sources are not listed due to confidentiality agreements.