Dr Ben Kraal
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
Ben Kraal is a Research Fellow and Lecturer in the School of Design at the QUT.
Dr Kraal's approach adapts rich sociological techniques to investigate the complex interplay between people, the tools they use and the environment in which they work, allowing the identification of the essential elements of the work practice in question, making it clear where technology and design interventions are able to achieve the greatest positive impact.
Main areas of research
Ben Kraal has developed and adapted research methods for investigating the use of complex devices in complex social settings. Beginning in the area of Human-Computer Interaction and now in Human-Centred Design, his research focuses on they ways in which the tools and technologies people use in their lives influence they way they interact with the world.
human-centred design, product usability, user experience, service experience, electronic health records
Design Practice and Management, Information Systems
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
PhD (University of Canberra), Bachelorof Information Technology Honours Class 1 (University of Queensland)
- Swann L, Popovic V, Blackler A, Kraal B, (2014) Airport security screeners expertise and implications for interface design, Proceedings of the 2014 Design Research Society Conference p1465-1481
- Kirk P, Harrison A, Popovic V, Kraal B, (2014) Deconstructing expected passenger experience in airports, Proceedings of the 2014 Design Research Society Conference p16-30
- Cave A, Blackler A, Popovic V, Kraal B, (2014) Examining intuitive navigation in airports, Proceedings of the Design Research Society 2014 Conference p293-311
- Kraal B, Popovic V, (2010) Implications for the design of a digital stethoscope for anaesthetic preadmission consultations, The Australasian Medical Journal p440-444
- Monitoring intuitive expertise in the context of airport security screening
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Intuitive Expertise; Airport Security; Automated Monitoring