Ms Barbara Hamilton
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyBarbara Hamilton is the unit coordinator of Succession and undertakes most of the teaching in this unit. She teaches the related subjects Principles of Equity and Trusts. Barbara publishes articles in the areas of succession, equity, trusts and elder law. Some recent publications are: 'Assisting a suicide: Potential succession law consequences' (2013) 33 Queensland Lawyer 67; 'Fatal flaws: The risks for beneficiaries who assist suicide' Proctor September 2012; 'Equitable remedies for elder abuse in inter vivos transactions' The Qld Lawyer June 2011. Research interests
- Succession & Elder Law
- Equity & Trusts
- Civil & Professional Disciplinary Liability of Lawyers
Elder Law, Equity and Trusts, Inheritance, Succession
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- LLM (Bond University)
- LLB (University of Queensland)
- BA (University of Queensland)
- Cockburn T, Hamilton B, (2013) Assisting a suicide: Potential succession law consequences, Queensland Lawyer, 33 (1), pp. 67-74.
- Hamilton B, Cockburn T, (2012) Fatal flaws : the risks for beneficiaries who assist a suicide., Proctor, 32 (8), pp. 18-21.
- Cockburn T, Hamilton B, (2011) Equitable remedies for elder financial abuse in inter vivos transactions, Queensland Lawyer, 31 (2), pp. 123-138.
- Hamilton B, Cockburn T, (2011) Wills, testamentary capacity and compensation awards, Proctor, 30 (10), pp. 30-32.
- Cockburn T, Hamilton B, (2010) Fiduciary duties of solicitor executors and trustees seeking consent to payment of fees and commission - the need for informed consent, Retirement and Estate Planning Bulletin, 12 (8), pp. 254-257.
- Cockburn T, Hamilton B, (2009) Civil and professional liability for will making and estate planning- a new standard for Australian solicitors?, Waikato Law Review, 17 (1), pp. 52-73.
- Cockburn T, Hamilton B, (2009) Acting for elders in estate planning and will making, Precedent (96).
- Hamilton B, Cockburn T, (2008) Solicitors taking substantial gifts under wills: Probate doctrines, professional regulation and the application of equitable doctrines, Journal of Equity, 2 (2), pp. 117-142.
- Hamilton B, (2007) The new world of wills, Proctor, 27 (5), pp. 21-24.
- Hamilton B, (2007) The doctrine of unconscionable bargains in equity: potent sword for estate lawyers', Queensland Lawyer, 27 (4), pp. 180-187.