Dr Bianca Capra
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyResearch Publications Announcements: I have recently been published in the Journal of Fluids Mechanics, one of the pre-eminent journals for fluid mechanics research. The details of this paper are: Capra, B.R, Boyce, R.R, Kuhn, M and Hald, H "Combustion enhancement in a scramjet engine using oxygen enrichment and porous fuel injection" Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vo,. 767 pp 173-198
Hypersonic Flow, Thermo-fluids, Radiative Heat Transfer, Porous Material, Energy Efficency, Multidisciplinary, Sustainability
Aerospace Engineering, Interdisciplinary Engineering, Other Built Environment and Design
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD - Aerospace Space Engineering (University of Queensland)
- Heat and Mass Transfer (ENB360) : Tutor
- Bulk Material Handling (ENB362) : Unit coordinator, Lecturer, Tutor
- Thermodynamics 1 (ENB222) : Lecturer, Tutor
- Fluid Mechanics (ENB321) : Lecturer
- Engineering Sustainability and Professional Practice (EGB100) : Lecturer
- Engineering Mechanics (EGB121) : Lecturer
Current Research Supervision
- Flow Physics of Scramjet Fuel Injection Through Porous Walls (UQ)
- Cross Ventilation in Multi-Residential Buildings: Evaluation and Design
- Impact of Cool Roof Application in Commercial Buildings: A Contribution to Sustainable Design in Australia
VRES (Vacation Research Experience Scheme)
- Understanding why women are still under-represented in mechanical engineering, mathematics and physics disciplines
Building Physics / Renewable Energy Topics
- Air quality and distribution analysis in a Cystic Fibrosis Ward for infectious disease control (3 topics)
- Energy efficiency in office and educational buildings: An experimental approach (2 topics, 1 available)
- Using historical weather data to quantify the impact climate change has had on HVAC building energy use (1 topic)
- Urban integrated renewable energy (4 topics)
- Numerical implementation of porous fluid flow for high-speed compressible aerodynamics applications (1 topic)
- Binary scaling and aerothermal heating during atmospheric reentry (1 topic)
- Aerothermal-structural analysis of the internal flight path of a Mach 8 scramjet engine (1 topic)
Current Projects Available
PhD Topics available:
- Porous Fuel Injection in Hypersonic Vehicles: The Fundamental Flow Physics ( 2 topics available)
- Radiation and Ablation in Rapidly Expanding Flows (1 topic available)
- Vertical Axis Wind Turbines in Urban Environments (1 topic available)
- Expert for Substantive Opposition to grant Patent (2015). Area of expertise: Fluid Dynamics (2015)
Industry Experience Dr Capra has 4 years industry experience where she worked as a ESD (Eccological Sustainable Engineer) Engineer with the building services industry. A summary of this experience is as follows:
Research Engineer, Bassett Consulting Engineers (now AECOM) (September 2006 - April 2008)
- Specialised modelling including comprehensive CFD, energy and thermal assessment
- Project management
- Quality assurance procedures for modelling files and data storage
Building Physicist, Arup (May 2008 - August 2009)
- Specialised computational analysis / modelling
- Project management and quality assurance
- Detailed client report prepartion
- Green Star submission managment
Senior ESD Engineer, Viridis E3 (now Viridis) (September 2009 - July 2010)
- Establishing and implementing numerical modelling team
- Research on current modelling and technical analysis capabilities
- Green Star submission management
- Early Career Research Grant (2014) AUD15,000
- National Computational Infrastructure Grant (2014) AUD100,000
- Travel Grant, University of Queensland (2012) AUD3,161
- Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship (2005/6, 2004/5) USD12,000
- Australian Postgraduate Award (2002 - 2005) AUD72,000
- Acta Astronautica, Outstanding Reviewer Status
- International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer
- Capra B, Morgan R, (2013) Total heat transfer measurements on a flight investigation of reentry environment model, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 50 (3), pp. 494-503.
- Capra B, Morgan R, (2012) Radiative and total heat transfer measurements to a Titan Explorer model, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 49 (1), pp. 12-23.
- Lorrain P, Brieschenk S, Capra B, Boyce R, (2012) A detailed investigation of nominally 2-D radical-farming scramjet combustion, Proceedings of the 18th AIAA/3AF International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, pp. 1-18.
- Brieschenk S, Lorrain P, Capra B, Boyce R, McIntyre T, Kleine H, O'Byrne S, (2012) Chemiluminescence imaging in supersonic combustors operating in radical-farming mode, Proceedings of the 18th AIAA/3AF International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, pp. 574-583.
- Capra B, Lorrain P, Boyce R, Brieschenk S, Kuhn M, Hald H, (2012) H2-O2 porous fuel injection in a radical farming scramjet, Proceedings of the 18th AIAA/3AF International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, pp. 1-19.
- Brown L, Creagh M, van Staden P, Dimitrijevic I, Capra B, Tirtey S, Boyce R, (2012) The SCRAMSPACE I Scramjet flight design and construction, Proceedings of the 18th AIAA/3AF International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, pp. 464-472.
- Capra B, Boyce R, Brieschenk S, (2012) Numerical modelling of porous fuel injection in a radical farming scramjet, Proceedings of the 28th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, pp. 1-11.
- Morgan R, McIntyre T, Jacobs P, Buttsworth D, Macrossan M, Gollan R, Capra B, Brandis A, Potter D, Eichmann T, Jacobs C, McGilvray M, van Diem D, Scott M, (2008) Impulse facilities for the simulation of hypersonic radiating flows, Proceedings of the 38th Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit, pp. 1961-1976.
- Capra B, Morgan R, Leyland P, (2005) Heat transfer measurements on the first experimental layer of the FIRE II reentry vehicle in expansion tubes, Proceedings of the 5th European Symposium on Aerothermodynamics for Space Vehicles [ESA SP-563], pp. 243-248.
- Capra B, Morgan R, Leyland P, (2005) New gauge design to measure radiative heat transfer to a Titan aerocapture vehicle in expansion tubes, Proceedings of the 5th European Symposium on Aerothermodynamics for Space Vehicles [ESA SP-563], pp. 189-194.
- Membership of Learned Societies
- Reference year
- Committee Member 2013 -2015The Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society is an independent non-profit society that supports and fosters interest in fluid mechanics and related disciplines in the Australasian region.
- Reference year
- This internationally competitive fellowship is awarded annually to women pursuing research towards a PhD in aerospace engineering or science. Winning candidates are chosen from an international panel of experts within this field. The fellowship was for one year and was worth USD6000
- Reference year
- This highly competitive international fellowship is awarded annually to women pursuing research towards a PhD in aerospace engineering or science. Winning candidates are chosen from an international panel of experts within this field. The Fellowship was for one year and had a value of USD6000.
- Radiation and Ablation in Rapidly Expanding Flows
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Hypersonic Reentry; Ablation; Radiation