Distinguished Emeritus Professor
Office of the Vice-Chancellor & President
BiographyProfessor Arun Sharma is:
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Commercialisation) - QUT
He has played a leadership role in developing Australian research capability in information and communication technology.
NICTA (National Information and Communications Technology Australia Ltd.)
- co-founder of NICTA – Australia’s national centre of excellence
- inaugural Director of NICTA's largest research laboratory.
Prior to establishing NICTA, Arun was:
- Head - School of Computer Science and Engineering - University of New South Wales, Sydney
- Co-founder - UNSW - Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Smart Internet Technology.
Arun is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, and has obtained the following qualifications:
- 1990: PhD in Computer Science from the State University of New York at Buffalo
- 1990 - 1991: postdoctoral training in the Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 1985: undergraduate degree in Computer Science from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani.
- Distinguished Professor Emeritus
Office of the Vice-Chancellor & President
Algorithms, Computation Theory, Inductive Logic And Inference
Computation Theory and Mathematics, Computer Software
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD in Computer Science (State University of New York)
Professional memberships and associations
- Member - Advance Queensland Expert Advisory Panel
- Member - ARC Engagement & Impact - Performance & Impact Working Group
- Director - Adani Abbot Point Terminal Pty Ltd
- Team Champion, Qld Team - MIT Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program (REAP)
- Director - Translational Research Institute
- Board Member - QMI Solutions Ltd
- Board Member- qutbluebox Pty Ltd
- Board Member - CRC for Integrated Engineering Asset Management
- Board Member - CRC for Smart Services
- Member - Queensland Premier’s Smart State Council
- Member - Premier’s Business Roundtable
- Board Member - Sugar Research Ltd
- Board Member - Farmacule Bioindustries Pty Ltd
- Board Member - Australasian CRC for Interaction Design
- Board Member - Creative Industries Pty Ltd
- Board Member - CRC for Construction Innovation
- Board Member - Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation
- Advisory role - ICT Sector Advisory Committee - CSIRO
- Advisory role - Independent Advisory Council - Australian Research Council
- Advisory role - Interim Advisory Board - Manufacturing Centre of the Enterprise Connect Program
- Martin E, Sharma A, Stephan F, (2004) On the data consumption benefits of accepting increased uncertainty, Algorithmic Learning Theory: proceedings of the 15th International Conference, ALT 2004, pp. 83-98.
- Sharma A, (2004) Web searching and Sigma2 queries, Advanced web technologies and applications: proceedings of the 6th Asia-Pacific Web Conference, APWeb 2004, pp. 20-23.
- Jain S, Sharma A, (2002) Mind change complexity of learning logic programs, Theoretical Computer Science, 284 (1), pp. 143-160.
- Case J, Ott M, Sharma A, Stephan F, (2002) Learning to win process-control games watching game-masters, Information and Computation, 174 (1), pp. 1-19.
- Ignjatovic A, Sharma A, (2004) Some applications of logic to feasibility in higher types, ACM Transactions on Computational Logic, 5 (2), pp. 332-350.
- Martin E, Sharma A, Stephan F, (2003) Learning power and language expressiveness, Theoretical Computer Science, 298 (2), pp. 365-383.
- Case J, Kinber E, Sharma A, Stephan F, (2004) On the classification of recursive languages, Information and Computation, 192 (1), pp. 15-40.
- Case J, Jain S, Martin E, Sharma A, Stephan F, (2006) Identifying Clusters from Positive Data, SIAM Journal on Computing, 36 (1), pp. 28-55.
- Martin E, Sharma A, Stephan F, (2006) Unifying logic, topology and learning in Parametric logic, Theoretical Computer Science, 350 (1), pp. 103-124.
- Martin E, Sharma A, Stephan F, (2006) On ordinal VC-dimension and some notions of complexity, Theoretical Computer Science, 364 (1), pp. 62-76.
- Academic Honours, Prestigious Awards or Prizes
- Reference year
- Premier's Special Award for India partnerships builder