Dr Ali Arefi
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyHe is working on Planning Future Energy Grids: Renewable as a Research Fellow in QUT. This project is developing tools for optimal investment strategy for distribution networks over large areas and long planning horizons. This project is creating a comprehensive model of the physical infrastructure in the electricity distribution grid to be used as a world-first planning tool in understanding the management and coupled problems of network demand growth and the increasing proportion of renewable sources of power supply. The project is supported by the Queensland Government via the National and International Research Alliances Program (NIRAP). It is a collaborative project between QUT , Ergon Energy Corporation Ltd, Queensland, Australia, and 5 other international universities. His fields of interest mainly are electric distribution optimization, power quality, state estimation and energy efficiency.
He was consultant in “Electric Loss Reduction and Power Quality Improvement in Distribution Network” and “Verification of Technical Requirements of Distributed Generation Interconnection to Electric Distribution Network” as well as Supervisor of “Project of Economical and Integrated Design of Electric Power Distribution Network”, TAVANIR, Iran from 2004 to 2012.
He has conducted the power quality and energy audit in several factories and electric distribution companies.
He has six years of lecturing experience in universities.
PhD (Tarbiat Modares University)
Professional memberships and associations
- IEEE Member ('07), Senior Member ('14);
- Member of IEEE Working Group on Modern and Future Distribution System Planning;
- Member of IEEE Working Group on Distribution Reliability;
- Member of IEEE Committee on Power System Planning and Implementation;
- Member of IEEE Working Group on Asset Management;
- Member of IEEE Task Force on Natural Disaster Preparation and Recovery.
Electrical Machines, Industrial Electronics, Electrical Circuits, Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering.
Power Systems Lab., Electrical Machines Lab., Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering Lab., Electricity Workshop.
- Master planning in electric distribution networks,
- Network analysis and calculation,
- Operation & maintenance in electric distribution networks,
- Earthing system design in electric distribution networks,
- Protection system design in electric distribution networks,
- Automation system design in electric distribution networks,
- Power quality in electric distribution networks,
- Street lighting system design in electric distribution networks.
Electric loss reduction and power quality improvement in distribution network, Consultant in TAVANIR Holding Company, Iran, 2004 to 2012.
Interconnection analysis of ZANJAN Hydro Power Plant (600 MW) to the 230 kV and 400 kV national network; Tender documents preparation and preliminary feasibility study of ARDAL Hydro Power Plant (20MW), RASTAB Consultant Company, 2009 to 2011.
Power quality auditing and energy conservation study for industries and electric distribution companies, Development of Energy Optimization Company; FANAVARAN, 2002 to 2009.