Dr Andrew Simpson
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyDr Andrew Simpson is a QUT Research Fellow and the Managing Director of Verdant Vision – a Brisbane-based cleantech advisory firm specialising in electric transport, energy storage and renewable energy. His current project under QUT’s Science and Engineering Faculty is to develop a precinct showcasing clean technologies for the G20 Leaders Summit at Brisbane’s South Bank in November 2014. Andrew is an engineer whose 15 years of experience has included roles with Tesla Motors and the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory as well as five years of consulting to cleantech projects throughout the Asia Pacific. His professional skills include technology strategy and product planning, business development and commercialisation, and technical communications. He is a member of the Standards Australia committee for electric vehicles and has provided advice to the Australian and US Governments, the Australian Energy Market Commission, the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, and the California Air Resources Board, as well as having supported most government-funded EV trials around Australia in recent years. He also drives his own electric vehicle recharged with solar energy. Andrew has a Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) and PhD (Electrical Engineering) from the University of Queensland and is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Energy and Member of the Society of Automotive Engineers International. He jointly holds two US patents, has been credited with five professional awards, has produced more than 30 refereed publications and delivered over 100 keynote presentations.
clean technology, sustainable transport, sustainable energy, electric vehicles, energy storage, renewable energy, mobility services, smart cities, innovation and commercialisation, technology transfer
Interdisciplinary Engineering, Transportation and Freight Services, Urban and Regional Planning
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
- Managing Director - Verdant Vision Pty Ltd
- Adjunct Research Fellow - Curtin University Sustainability Policy (CUSP) Institute
- Member - Society of Automotive Engineers International
- Fellow - Australian Institute of Energy
- Member - Standards Australia Technical Committee EM-001 (Electric Vehicles)
- 2011 - Queensland Business and Industry Transformation Incentive, with Varley Electric Vehicles Pty Ltd
- 2006 - Director's Award for Transportation Technologies, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- 2006 - Best Youth Paper Award, World Electric Vehicle Symposium, with J. Gonder.
- 2004 - Australian Delegate and Best Youth Paper Award, World Energy Congress
- 1999 - Kinhill Prize for Best Mechanical Engineering Thesis, University of Queensland