Ms Anna Spencer
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyAnna Spencer is a Social Worker with more than 30 years’ experience in the human service sector. Anna's social work career spans the State, Local Government and Community Services Sector in senior management and executive roles. Anna's professional career has been predominately in the areas of professional education and community development. Anna’s work in the sector is underpinned by an enduring commitment to social justice for the most vulnerable, and an acknowledgement of the importance of place and relationship responses that nurture individual and community well being and connectivity. A hallmark of Anna's practice is a curiosity that allows her to explore the 'possibilities' and work collaboratively with others to create space for positive change. Anna is currently holds a lecturer position in the School of Human Services and Social Work with a key responsible for field education and service learning. Prior to joining QUT was Associate Director Jabiru Youth, Community and Children's Services. Anna has serviced on a number of community and Peak Boards and advisory groups. She currently is on the Brisbane Youth Service Board.
field education, youth work, work based learning, SWISS, child protection, socio-legalb, service learning, Community place based practice
Public Health and Health Services
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- BSocWk (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
- ANZSWWER Australian and New Zealand Social Work and Welfare Education and Research
- ACWA Australian Community Welfare Association
- Brisbane Youth Service Board member.
Key teaching areas:
- Field Education
- Practice Complexity
- Transitions to Practice
Supporting Not For Profit organisations to develop sustainable place-based service responses. Current engagements include:
- Supporting teams of students to assist the Cherbourg community to progress questions that are identified within the community as important
- Current Board member of Brisbane Youth Service
- Student Exchange with Department of Social Work Sør-Trøndelag University College
- Crane P, Fox S, Spencer A, Hardy F, Campbell C, (2014) Enhancing social work interprofessional learning through across university and industry collaboration: Early steps in the Advanced Health Directives Project, Advances in Social Work and Welfare Education, 16 (1), pp. 81-96.
- Buys E, McDonald C, Ingamells A, Spencer A, Fox P, (1997) Assessing the Impact of Practicum of Education & Practice in the BSocSc (Human Service) Program, Practical Experiences In Professional Education: Research Monograph No. 2, pp. 122-136.
- Spencer A, (1995) Unpacking Culture: What Does Multiculturalism Mean To Human Services Practice In The Youth sector?, Transitions, pp. 13-21.