Dr Ann Heirdsfield
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
Ann Heirdsfield is a lecturer in the School of Early Childhood. Ann's teaching and research interests lie in the area of mathematics education, in particular, at the early childhood level. More recently Ann has worked in early childhood classrooms to enhance young children's mental computation.
Other research to date has dealt with students' acquisition of knowledge in a variety of mathematics areas, and supporting beginning teachers in mathematics and science teaching.
Ann has extended her teaching and research focus to investigate higher education students' experiences, including first year students' transition into university, peer mentoring, online learning, and transition from student to first year professional.
Early Years Mathematics, Mathematics Education
Curriculum and Pedagogy, Education Systems, Specialist Studies in Education
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
- MEd (Research) (Queensland University of Technology)
- BA (University of Queensland)
- Dip Teach (Kelvin Grove C.A.E)
- Heirdsfield A, Lamb J, Spry G, (2009) Professional learning: implementing new mathematics content, Proceedings of the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) International Education Research Conference 2008: Changing Climates: Education for Sustainable Futures, pp. 1-13.
- Heirdsfield A, Warren E, Dole S, (2008) The use of a new mathematics text book scheme- Support or impediment., AARE 2007 International Educational Research Conference Proceedings, pp. 1-9.
- Heirdsfield A, Walker S, Walsh K, (2008) Enhancing the first year experience- Longitudinal perspectives on a peer mentoring scheme, Proceedings of AARE International education Research Conference, pp. 1-17.
- Heirdsfield A, Walker S, Walsh K, Wilss L, (2008) Peer mentoring for first-year teacher education students: The mentors' experience, Mentoring and Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, 16 (2), pp. 109-124.
- Heirdsfield A, Davis J, Lennox S, Walker S, (2007) Online Learning Environments: The Challenge for Early Childhood Teacher Education Students, Presented at: Rethinking early Childhood Education: Pacific Early Childhood Education Research Association 8th Annual Conference.
- Heirdsfield A, Walker S, Thomas L, Ailwood J, Meehan C, (2007) Living with Uncertainty: Transition from University Student to Early Childhood Professional, Presented at: Pacific Early Childhood Education Research Association 8th Annual Conference, pp. 1.
- Heirdsfield A, Dole S, Beswick K, (2007) Instruction to Support Mental Computation Development in Young Children of Diverse Ability, AARE 2006 Conference CD, pp. 1-7.
- Heirdsfield A, Lamb J, (2007) Year 2 Inaccurate but Flexible Mental Computers: Teacher Actions Supporting Growth, The Australian Association for Research in Education: Engaging Pedagogies 2006, pp. 1-14.
- Heirdsfield A, Davis J, Lennox S, Walker S, Zhang W, (2007) Online Learning Environments: What Early Childhood Teacher Education Students Say, Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 28, pp. 115-126.
- Heirdsfield A, Lamb J, (2006) Inaccurate Mental Computation: Identifying Flawed Thinking, Presented at: MERGA 29, Identities Cultures & Learning Spaces, pp. 600.
- Editorial Role for an Academic Journal
- Reference year
- Reviewer for Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood
- Advisor/Consultant for Industry
- Reference year
- Evaluation of mathematics text book scheme.