Student privacy and access to personal information

Why do we collect personal information about our students?

We collect personal information about our students to:

  • administer your admission, enrolment and academic progress
  • assist with visa requirements and other requirements for study in Australia for international students
  • evaluate and improve our courses
  • aid student learning, including by recording lectures and other classes
  • advise you of other study opportunities at QUT
  • develop, improve and facilitate access to support and services, like counselling, learning support, the library and information technology services
  • maintain contact with you after you graduate.

What information do we collect?

The records we hold about our current and past students may include information about:

  • personal details, including date of birth, postal and permanent home address, and emergency contact details
  • statistics, including equity group membership and educational background
  • admission, enrolment, course progress and attendance records
  • student exams and assessment, including grades
  • industry experience, including practicums or clinical placements
  • payment of fees and charges, and HECS contribution details, which may include tax file numbers
  • student welfare matters, including use of student support services in areas of health, disability, learning assistance, personal and careers counselling, and student complaints and grievances
  • applications for awards of prizes, scholarships and grants and other student assistance applications
  • library borrowing history
  • graduation details, including information on graduate employment outcomes
  • immunisation status and first aid qualifications (for students in specified courses only)
  • student membership on university and faculty committees
  • your image and voice, through recordings of lectures and other classes.

How we manage the information

Most of the personal and academic student information we hold is managed by Student Business Services (SBS). We also hold information in our central corporate records management systemand systems in other areas (such as for managing records related to research).

The faculty you studied in may also hold some records, including information about your:

  • prizes and scholarships
  • work experience and clinical and teaching placements
  • immunisation status.

Records about student welfare and the use of services are held by the unit that provides the service, such as health services, learning support services and the library.

Generally, nominated staff manage access to and security of systems that hold student information, and other staff are given access only if it’s necessary for them to carry out their duties and they have appropriate authorisation.

Who we disclose information to

In some circumstances, we provide personal information about our students to people and organisations outside QUT. We may disclose information to:

  • Australian Tax Office, about HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP and other student loan schemes where you can defer payments through the taxation system
  • the Commonwealth Government if you request Commonwealth support or financial assistance
  • other government or private loan schemes where you’re granted approved loans
  • government departments responsible for:
    • education – we are required to report statistical information about student enrolments
    • immigration and citizenship, about international student visa conditions
    • health, welfare and social services, specifically Centrelink
  • Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) and tertiary admission organisations in other states
  • external organisations where you do industrial or clinical placements, or professional experience
  • consultant student service providers (for example mailing houses)
  • your financial institution for payment of student fees and charges
  • the fund manager of the ESOS Assurance Fund for international students, under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act
  • health care providers, if you are an international student who pays for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) through QUT
  • professional regulation bodies if you’re enrolled in a relevant course
  • law enforcement, intelligence gathering or revenue protection agencies, where it’s reasonably necessary for the enforcement of criminal law or a law imposing a fine (pecuniary penalty), or for the protection of the public revenue
  • other students enrolled in the same units, through class lists and lecture recordings.

With appropriate permission from you, we may also provide information to people or organisations you authorise to:

  • request information on your behalf, such as a parent, spouse, solicitor or insurance agency
  • verify information you have provided, such as employers, real estate agents, or other universities or educational institutions.

How do I request access to QUT’s information about me?

There are two ways you can request access to the information we hold about you:

  1. informal requests through what we call administrative access schemes
  2. formal requests under the Information Privacy Act.

We recommend that you try informal requests first, and if you’re unable to get access to the information you’re looking for you can submit a formal request.

You can also nominate someone to request personal information related to you on your behalf (such as a parent, spouse, solicitor or insurance agency.

If you are after information to supply to a financial institution, employer or another university, go to third parties.

If you want to request access to personal information about someone else or organisational information about QUT, use the Right to Information scheme.

Informal requests (administrative access schemes)

How to make an informal request for access to personal information

To access:

  • your official university student record, contact the HiQ Student Centre
  • your academic record (transcript) or Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS), submit a request for an academic record. There is a fee for this service.
  • student records held by a faculty, contact the faculty student office
  • your final marks in a unit, exam papers, your answers to exam questions or other written assessment, read our access to assessment results policy
  • personal information held by other areas of the university (such as health services, counselling services, or disability services), contact those areas.

You will need to come to the relevant QUT campus to view your information, and you’ll need to provide identification (for example your staff card or drivers licence).

Costs for informal requests

There is a fee for requesting an academic record or Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS).

Otherwise, you don’t have to pay to access your files, but we may charge a fee if you request a large number of photocopies of your records.

What we will provide to you

We’ll provide your hard-copy file, as well as printed copies of any material from your electronic file that is not in your hard-copy file.

Before we supply your file, we will check it for any third-party or confidential material. We will remove any third-party material. If your file contains confidential material, our Right to Information Officer may recommend that you request access under the Right to Information scheme instead.

A QUT staff member will stay with you while you review your file. You must not mark, alter or reorder your file. You cannot remove or borrow any part of your file, but you can make copies and take those with you.

Formal requests under the Information Privacy Act

If you can get access to the information you’re looking for through informal requests, you can submit a formal request for access to information under the Information Privacy Act.