Staff privacy and access to personal information

Why do we collect personal information about our staff?

We collect personal information about our staff to:

  • administer human resource management functions
  • maintain staff electoral rolls for election of members to university committees, and for other elections that staff participate in
  • facilitate access to services, like the library, information technology and parking.

What information do we collect?

The records we hold about our current and past staff may include information about:

  • recruitment, including position applications, selection processes, employment checks, evidence of previous qualifications and information relating to relocation and removal of appointees
  • appointment (including for casual staff), leave and attendance
  • personal details, such as date of birth, home address, home phone number and emergency contact details
  • salary and payroll, including banking details, tax file number information and salary packaging benefits
  • superannuation
  • personal development and training
  • performance planning and management, and evaluations of teaching performance ( for academic staff)
  • staff health and safety requirements (including, where required, vaccination status and details of first aid certificate holders) and of accidents and injuries, including compensation and rehabilitation arrangements
  • staff welfare matters, such as staff study assistance
  • grievances and complaints, and industrial issues affecting individual staff
  • staff equity data
  • personal promotion information (for academic staff)
  • library borrowing history, and other records where staff use QUT services, like health services and counselling services
  • visiting researchers or adjunct staff, and other individuals providing services to the university in a voluntary capacity
  • grants, awards, honours and recognition schemes for staff
  • staff research output and publications, and staff participation in external and commercial consultancies
  • staff travel
  • staff membership on university and faculty committees.

How we manage the information

A lot of staff personal information is held centrally in our Human Resources (HR) department, particularly information related to recruitment, appointments, attendance and industrial or workers’ compensation processes. Access to this information is restricted to HR staff, and other staff are given access only if it’s necessary for them to carry out their duties and they have appropriate authorisation.

Some records about staff management (for example, timesheets and attendance records) may be held by the organisational unit you worked in (for example, faculty, school or department).

Information about:

  • research grants and research output is managed by the Division of Research and Commercialisation
  • teaching evaluation is managed by the Division of Technology, Information and Learning Support
  • the use of services like health services, counselling services and the library is managed by the organisational unit that provides the service.

Generally, for records held outside HR, only administrative and executive staff in the particular organisational unit have access, although the records may be made available to other senior staff if necessary.

Who we disclose information to

In some circumstances, we provide personal information about our staff to people and organisations outside QUT. We may disclose information to:

  • Australian Taxation Office
  • superannuation providers
  • WorkCover and rehabilitation providers
  • your financial institution (payment information only)
  • health insurers (contribution payment information only).

With appropriate permission from you, we may also provide information to people or organisations you authorise to:

  • request information on your behalf, such as a parent, spouse, solicitor or insurance agency
  • verify information you have provided, such as employers, real estate agents, or other universities or educational institutions.

How do I request access to QUT’s information about me?

There are two ways you can request access to the information we hold about you:

  1. informal requests through what we call administrative access schemes
  2. formal requests under the Information Privacy Act.

We recommend that you try informal requests first, and if you’re unable to get access to the information you’re looking for you can submit a formal request.

You can also nominate someone to request personal information related to you on your behalf (such as a parent, spouse, solicitor or insurance agency.

If you are after information to supply to a financial institution, employer or another university, go to third parties.

If you want to request access to personal information about someone else or organisational information about QUT, use the Right to Information scheme.

Informal requests (administrative access schemes)

How to make an informal request for access to personal information

To access:

  • your official university personnel file, contact the relevant human resources adviser within our Human Resources department
  • personnel records from individual organisational areas that you have worked in, contact the organisational unit or your supervisor
  • personal information held by other areas of the university (such as health services, counselling services or Equity services), contact those areas.

You will need to come to the relevant QUT campus to view your information, and you’ll need to provide identification (for example your staff card or drivers licence).

Costs for informal requests

You don’t have to pay to access your files, but we may charge a fee if you request a large number of photocopies of your records.

What we will provide to you

We’ll provide your hard-copy file, as well as printed copies of any material from your electronic file that is not in your hard-copy file.

Before we supply your file, we will check it for any third-party or confidential material. We will remove any third-party material. If your file contains confidential material, our Right to Information Officer may recommend that you request access under the Right to Information scheme instead.

A QUT staff member will stay with you while you review your file. You must not mark, alter or reorder your file. You cannot remove or borrow any part of your file, but you can make copies and take those with you.

Formal requests under the Information Privacy Act

If you can get access to the information you’re looking for through informal requests, you can submit a formal request for access to information under the Information Privacy Act.