Change to view Australian and NZ students' course information. You are viewing international students' course information.
- Develop skills in enterprise information policy; evaluation of information resources and systems; and the design, delivery and evaluation of information services.
- Prepares you for a career as an information broker, web master, information architect, policy officer, metadata analyst, or learning resources officer.
- Specialise in health services, education, creative industries and information technology.
- Complete in 2 years full-time or 4 years part-time.
|QUT course code||IT44|
|Course duration||2 years full-time|
|Start month||2014 February, July|
Information is now viewed as one of the most significant assets in an organisation. The ability to obtain and manage information on an ongoing basis is an important component of competitive success. Internal and external information resources are used constantly in any organisation. Information managers help organisations to more effectively interact with, and use, information for business development and success. Information managers require the knowledge and expertise to design, plan, develop, manage and evaluate information services to meet the information needs of their organisation.
Careers include information broker, information manager, knowledge manager, database manager, web master, information technology manager, information architect, information coordinator, policy officer, research analyst, information services manager, document manager, metadata analyst, community information officer or learning resources officer.
The Information Management major provides you with the skills and knowledge to find employment in the information and knowledge management industry. You will gain awareness of the activities in which information management professionals are engaged, in various organisational contexts. You will have the opportunity through optional units to tailor your learning to specific areas such as health services, education, creative industries and information technology.
You will develop skills and knowledge in information management including the alignment of enterprise information and business planning; enterprise information policy; evaluation of information resources and systems; and the design, delivery and evaluation of information services to meet client or organisational needs.
Course completion rules
Before they are able to complete the Masters Advanced program:
- Students are required to complete 192 credit points of units.
- Students are required to complete the specified core unit.
- Students seeking a single area of specialisation must complete the specific unit requirements for a major.
- Students not seeking a single area of specialisation may graduate with no major.
- Students must complete 48 credit points of project or advanced research units.
- Students may be allowed to take up to four units of electives. These units may be selected from postgraduate units outside of the Science and Engineering Faculty.
Australian equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in any discipline with a grade point average of at least 4.0 (on a 7-point scale)
Evidence of recognised prior higher learning in the field of Information and Information Technology (e.g. at least five years of relevant full-time work experience). Industry certification alone is not sufficient evidence.
Minimum English language requirements
Students must meet the English proficiency requirements.
|IELTS (International English Language Testing System)|
Note: This Program allows students who obtain IELTS 6.0 with no sub-band lower than 5.0 to undertake the Postgraduate Communication Pathway program where they undertake two Communication units as electives in the first semester of their Masters course. p>
Haven't completed an IELTS test?
Don't have the English language score you need? We can help!
We offer courses to improve your English and help you gain entry to this course.
When you apply for this course, we'll recommend which English course you should enrol in.
Haven't completed an English language test? We can help!
You can complete an IELTS test at our Kelvin Grove campus.
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. All fees are based on current fixed fee prices. We review fees annually.
2014: $12,600 per Study Period (48 credit points) (subject to annual review)
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
These scholarships are available for this course:
How to apply for Master of Information Technology (Advanced) (Information Management)
You're ready to apply if you have:
- Found all the courses you want to apply for. You can apply for up to 3
- Checked important dates
- Checked you meet the entry requirements
- Checked costs and scholarships
- Checked if you're eligible for credit for prior learning
- Gathered supporting documents
All done? Then you're ready to apply.