You are viewing Australian and NZ students' course information. Change to view international students' course information.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Fashion) is the only fashion degree in Queensland.
- Graduate with advanced technical and creative skills in fashion.
- Our graduates have had a significant impact on the emerging Brisbane fashion scene and have successfully launched their careers internationally.
- Experience real-world learning through industry and community internships.
|QTAC course code||421672|
|QUT course code||KK34|
|Course duration||3 years full-time|
|Start month||2014 February|
|Deferment||You can't defer your offer in this course. You must start in the semester you apply for.|
Student Business Services (SBS) Admissions:
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Creative and Professional Writing)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drama)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Fashion)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Interactive and Visual Design)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Arts)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Creative and Professional Writing)/Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Interactive and Visual Design)/Bachelor of Information Technology
At QUT Fashion we will nurture your creative spirit and embrace your individuality.
This conceptually driven design course is delivered in a studio environment where you learn about sustainable practices and digital technologies. Your design practice is contextualised through studies in fashion history, theory and industry. You can extend the scope of your fashion studies through opportunities in design disciplines such as interior design and architecture or in areas such as advertising, journalism or entrepreneurship.
Why choose this course?
QUT’s internationally renowned bachelor degree is located within the School of Design, Creative Industries Faculty. The course has a distinct interdisciplinary focus that embraces the diversity and opportunities for design in the twenty-first century.
This course provides you with the opportunity to experience real-world learning through industry and community internships, and throughout the course your work will be showcased to industry and the public.
QUT fashion students have completed international exchanges to London, Milan, Amsterdam and Delhi, and have secured coveted internships with leading international fashion companies including Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen and Antipodium.
View examples of student work on YouTube at www.youtube.com/TheQUTube
Our graduates have had a significant impact on the emerging Brisbane fashion scene and have successfully launched their careers internationally. Many of our graduates are entrepreneurial, starting their own labels and small businesses.
They excel as independent designers and have collaborated with larger fashion houses such as Sportsgirl. Others work as fashion stylists, international trend forecasters and product development managers, living and working in cities all over the world. Pathways to further study, including honours and research degrees, lead to diverse outcomes such as fashion curatorship and sustainability studies.
You will focus on the integration of conceptual design principles with the practical skills and understanding of pattern cutting and garment construction. You will gain knowledge of the materials, skills and processes involved in fashion design including trend analysis, and issues around sustainability and ethical production. You will develop core skills in drawing and fashion presentation and you will be introduced to key ideas in Fashion History and Theory.
Building on the skills from your first year, you will expand your knowledge of international fashion while developing your own design aesthetic. You will increase your knowledge of and ability to research fashion cultures and deepen your knowledge of fashion history and theory. Through electives you will develop a broader knowledge of design and creativity. You will have the opportunity to study abroad as an exchange student.
In your final year, you will consolidate your design identity and practice. You will develop a substantial body of work that will be showcased to industry. You will continue to diversify your studies through electives. Throughout the year you will identify issues relevant to your planned career and position yourself effectively for entry into the fashion industry or postgraduate study.
Important information for 2014 applicants
I have listed Fashion as a preference on my QTAC application
What happens next?
I have not registered with QUT.
If you have not registered for an audition and submitted the required additional entry documentation QUT will not be able to offer you a place in the course. You may wish to review your QTAC course preferences; they can be added or amended via QTAC’s Current Applicant online service. For more information on changing preferences, you can contact QTAC Information Services on 1300 GO QTAC (1300 467 822) or (07) 3858 1222.
I have registered with QUT and provided the additional entry documentation.
Thank you for registering for an audition for entry into one of the above courses at QUT. The following information will help you understand what will happen after the audition process.
How do I find out my audition outcome?
I have not been shortlisted for an interview
If you have not been shortlisted for an interview QUT will not be able to offer you a place in the course. You may wish to review your QTAC course preferences; they can be added or amended via QTAC’s Current Applicant online service. For more information on changing preferences, you can contact QTAC Information Services on 1300 GO QTAC (1300 467 822) or (07) 3858 1222.
I have been shortlisted for an interview
Shortly after the 22nd of November 2013 QUT will update the preference information within your QTAC application to reflect your interview outcome. You will be able to check this via QTAC’s Current Applicant online service. If you are unsure how to check your preference status there is a helpful video located on this web page.
What information will I see?
Within your Preferences tab you will see one of the following statuses.
- Based on the information currently held by QTAC you have satisfied the Minimum Entry Requirements in order to be considered for a place in this course.
- Based on the information currently held by QTAC you HAVE NOT SATISFIED the Minimum Entry Requirements in order to be considered for a place in this course.
What does this mean?
If you have satisfied the minimum entry requirements for one of the above courses you will then be considered for a place in the course in the 12 December, 2013 QTAC offer round. Depending on course place availability, further offers may be made in the 16 January, 2014 QTAC offer round. As more applicants will meet the minimum entry requirements than available course places meeting the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee a QTAC offer will be made. Successful applicants will only receive one offer at QTAC, to their highest eligible preference.
If you have not satisfied the minimum entry requirements QUT will not be able to offer you a place in the course. You may wish to review your QTAC course preferences; they can be added or amended via QTAC’s Current Applicant online service. For more information on changing preferences, you can contact QTAC Information Services on 1300 GO QTAC (1300 467 822) or (07) 3858 1222.
Successful portfolio and interview
2014 registrations have closed
Registrations for the 2014 intake were due on 11 October 2013 and are now closed. If you had not registered and you are considering applying to study in 2015 we recommend you read the following information as a guide only as it details requirements for entry in 2014 and these may change prior to the 2015 intake.<
- Apply through QTAC (you must have a valid QTAC number or current QUT ID number* before completing the QUT Online Registration Form)
- Complete the QUT Online Registration Form and print the confirmation page
- Post or submit the following documentation to the Creative Industries Faculty:
- Online registration Detailed Confirmation Notice
- A current passport sized photograph
- A resume or curriculum vitae, no more than two pages long
- A copy of your most recent High School report and/or results of previous Tertiary studies
- A copy of the QUTPay confirmation page from your online credit card payment for the $55 service charge (PLEASE NOTE: Q-Step, Aboriginal, and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants are exempt from the service fee)
- Personal statement - a typewritten personal statement outlining your reasons for applying to this particular course, indicating your personal strengths and your future ambitions (max 300 words)
- Portfolio (submitted electronically through the online registration form)
Please Note: Registering plus submitting your supporting documentation with QUT is separate and in addition to listing the course as a preference with QTAC*. To successfully apply for entry into this course you are required to do both. The audition process is managed by Creative Industries Faculty; however, all offers for the course will be made through QTAC.
* If you are a current Creative Industries Faculty undergraduate student changing course or major, you must submit an I Form or CM Form as appropriate. All offers will be made by QUT Admissions instead of QTAC.
A $55 service fee applies to all applicants, excluding applicants who seeking admission assistance via QUT’s Q-Step and/or Oodgeroo schemes. This payment is to be made via QUTPay and please ensure you print the confirmation page as you will need to attach it to your documentation.
Interview locations and dates
Following the submission applicants will be shortlisted. We will be conducting interviews in November 2013 at the QUT Kelvin Grove campus. Should you be shortlisted you will be notified via email to your nominated email account. Only submissions that include all the above stated requirements will be processed.
Who do I contact for more information?
Please contact the Creative Industries Faculty by:
Phone: (07) 3138 8114 and press option 4
Creative Industries Faculty Additional Entry
Z6, Level 1 The Hub-foyer delivery slots
Creative Industries Precinct
Kelvin Grove, QLD, 4059
(opening hours from 8am to 6pm)
Creative Industries Precinct
Z6 Block-The Hub Level 5
Kelvin Grove, QLD, 4059
Before you start this course we assume you have sound knowledge in these areas:
We assume that you have knowledge equivalent to four semesters at high school level (Years 11 and 12) with sound achievement (4, SA).
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. All fees are based on current fixed fee prices. We review fees annually.
2014: CSP $4,100 per Study Period (48 credit points) (subject to annual review)
Student Services and Amenities Fee
You'll need to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) as part of your course costs.
You'll need to pay some costs on top of your course fees.
HECS-HELP: loans to help you pay your course fees
You may not have to pay anything upfront if you're eligible for a HECS-HELP loan.
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
These scholarships are available for this course:
You may also be eligible for Centrelink payments
How to apply for Bachelor of Fine Arts (Fashion)
You apply through QTAC for all our undergraduate courses.
Are you ready to submit your application?
You're ready if you've:
- Found all the courses you want to apply for - you can apply for up to 6.
- Checked important dates.
- Checked you meet the entry requirements.
- Checked your course costs and if you're eligible for financial support.
All done? Then you're ready to apply.
Important: Make a note of the QTAC code for this course (421672) because you'll need to enter it as part of your QTAC application.
After you've submitted your application to QTAC
If you've studied before or if you have at least two years' work experience, you may want to apply for credit for prior learning.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.