You are viewing Australian and NZ students' course information. Change to view international students' course information.
- Study studio practice and art history to develop a sophisticated understanding of modern and contemporary visual arts for application in the classroom.
- Complete 2 separate degrees in 4 years full-time.
- Work across a broad range of media in an open-studio model, focusing on contemporary art practices.
- Study a business major in accountancy, advertising, economics, finance, human resource management, international business, management, marketing, or public relations.
|QTAC course code||409682|
|QUT course code||IX35|
|Course duration||4 years full-time|
|Start month||2014 February|
|Deferment||You can't defer your offer in this course. You must start in the semester you apply for.|
Student Business Services (SBS) Admissions:
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Creative and Professional Writing)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drama)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Fashion)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Interactive and Visual Design)
Why choose this course?
This combined degree opens up a wide range of creative and business careers.
You will graduate not only with advanced technical and creative skills, but also with highly developed business knowledge.
Immerse yourself in the fine arts major with up to 16 discipline units and gain in-depth knowledge in your specialisation. Your business degree component comprises eight business core units and eight business major units.
Graduates work in a diverse range of interesting careers, taking on positions such as:
- visual arts specialist
- arts manager.
Students may be eligible for membership to a number of professional bodies depending on choice of major and unit selection in their business degree. Details on professional recognition can be found under the individual majors of the Bachelor of Business (BS05).
Bachelor of Business (Honours) option
High-achieving students who wish to take further studies may enrol in BS63 Bachelor of Business (Honours).
This course is made up of 384 credit points. Each component (i.e. business and visual arts) comprises 192 credit points.
Your business degree component comprises eight business core units, and eight business major units. You will choose a business major from accounting, advertising, economics, finance, human resource management, international business, management, marketing or public relations. Accountancy students will complete 10 major units and six Business School core units in order to meet professional recognition requirements.
Important information for 2014 applicants
I have listed Visual Arts as a preference on my QTAC application
What happens next?
I have not registered with QUT.
If you have not registered with QUT and submitted the required additional entry documentation QUT will not be able to offer you a place in the course. You may wish to review your QTAC course preferences; they can be added or amended via QTAC’s Current Applicant online service. For more information on changing preferences, you can contact QTAC Information Services on 1300 GO QTAC (1300 467 822) or (07) 3858 1222.
I have registered with QUT and provided the additional entry documentation.
Thank you for registering for an audition for entry into one of the above courses at QUT. The following information will help you understand what will happen after the audition process.
I have not been shortlisted for an interview
If you have not been shortlisted for an interview QUT will not be able to offer you a place in the course. You may wish to review your QTAC course preferences; they can be added or amended via QTAC’s Current Applicant online service. For more information on changing preferences, you can contact QTAC Information Services on 1300 GO QTAC (1300 467 822) or (07) 3858 1222.
I have been shortlisted for an interview
Shortly after the 22nd of November 2013 QUT will update the preference information within your QTAC application to reflect your interview outcome. You will be able to check this via QTAC’s Current Applicant online service. If you are unsure how to check your preference status there is a helpful video located on this web page.
What information will I see?
Within your Preferences tab you will see one of the following statuses.
- Based on the information currently held by QTAC you have satisfied the Minimum Entry Requirements in order to be considered for a place in this course.
- Based on the information currently held by QTAC you HAVE NOT SATISFIED the Minimum Entry Requirements in order to be considered for a place in this course.
What does this mean?
If you have satisfied the minimum entry requirements for one of the above courses you will then be considered for a place in the course in the 12 December, 2013 QTAC offer round. Depending on course place availability, further offers may be made in the 16 January, 2014 QTAC offer round. As more applicants will meet the minimum entry requirements than available course places meeting the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee a QTAC offer will be made. Successful applicants will only receive one offer at QTAC, to their highest eligible preference.
If you have not satisfied the minimum entry requirements QUT will not be able to offer you a place in the course. You may wish to review your QTAC course preferences; they can be added or amended via QTAC’s Current Applicant online service. For more information on changing preferences, you can contact QTAC Information Services on 1300 GO QTAC (1300 467 822) or (07) 3858 1222.
Successful portfolio and interview.
2014 registrations have closed
Registrations for the 2014 intake were due on 11 October 2013 and are now closed. If you had not registered and you are considering applying to study in 2015 we recommend you read the following information as a guide only as it details requirements for entry in 2014 and these may change prior to the 2015 intake.
- Apply through QTAC (you must have a valid QTAC number or current QUT ID number* before completing the QUT Online Registration Form)
- Complete the QUT Online Registration Form and print the confirmation page
- Post or submit the following documentation to the Creative Industries Faculty:
- Online registration Detailed Confirmation Notice
- A current passport sized photograph
- A resume or curriculum vitae, no more than two pages long
- A copy of your most recent high school report and/or results of previous tertiary studies
- A copy of the QUTpay confirmation page from your online credit card payment for the $55 service charge (Please note: Q-Step, Aboriginal, and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants are exempt from the service fee)
- Portfolio (submitted electronically through the online registration form)
Please note: Registering plus submitting your supporting documentation with QUT is separate and in addition to listing the course as a preference with QTAC*. To successfully apply for entry into this course you are required to do both. The audition process is managed by Creative Industries Faculty; however, all offers for the course will be made through QTAC.
A $55 service fee applies to all applicants, excluding applicants who seeking admission assistance via QUT’s Q-Step and/or Oodgeroo schemes. This payment is to be made via QUTPay and please ensure you print the confirmation page as you will need to attach it to your documentation.
Interview locations and dates
Should your portfolio be successful, you will be required to attend an interview. Interviews will be held at H block, Victoria Park Road, Kelvin Grove between the dates of 11–15 November, 2013. An email confirming the time and place will be sent to your nominated email address by Friday 9 November, 2013.
Who do I contact for more information?
Please contact the Creative Industries Faculty by:
Phone: (07) 3138 8114 and press option 5
QUT Creative Industries Faculty
Z6, Level 1, The Hub (foyer delivery slots)
Creative Industries Precinct
Kelvin Grove, QLD 4059
(opening hours from 8am to 6pm)
QUT Creative Industries Faculty
L Block, 209
Victoria Park Road
Kelvin Grove, QLD, 4059
Before you start this course we assume you have sound knowledge in these areas:
We assume that you have knowledge equivalent to four semesters at high school level (Years 11 and 12) with sound achievement (4, SA). Accountancy, finance, economics and marketing majors also requires 4 SA in Maths A, B or C.
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. All fees are based on current fixed fee prices. We review fees annually.
2014: CSP $4,600 per Study Period (48 credit points) (subject to annual review)
Student Services and Amenities Fee
You'll need to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) as part of your course costs.
HECS-HELP: loans to help you pay your course fees
You may not have to pay anything upfront if you're eligible for a HECS-HELP loan.
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
These scholarships are available for this course:
You may also be eligible for Centrelink payments
How to apply for Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Arts)
You apply through QTAC for all our undergraduate courses.
Are you ready to submit your application?
You're ready if you've:
- Found all the courses you want to apply for - you can apply for up to 6.
- Checked important dates.
- Checked you meet the entry requirements.
- Checked your course costs and if you're eligible for financial support.
See the Entry requirements tab for due dates for submitting additional entry requirements.
All done? Then you're ready to apply.
Important: Make a note of the QTAC code for this course 409682 because you'll need to enter it as part of your QTAC application.
After you've submitted your application to QTAC
If you've studied before or if you have at least two years' work experience, you may want to apply for credit for prior learning.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.