Project status: In progress
The paucity of information needed by firms operating within the Creative Industries - impacting on their performance in many areas, has been raised as a critical issue in numerous reports for government over the past 10 years but little has been done to address it. The Centre for Creative Industries and Innovation has piloted a new approach to solving the problem - a business contributed business - data pool.
Creative Business Benchmarker provides a confidential business intelligence service that meets the specific needs of four different types of stakeholders: the creative firms, the professional bodies and industry associations, the policy makers within government departments and the academic and industry researchers.
- Queensland Government
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation (CCI)
- $360K from Qld Govt over 3 years
- matching funding from CCI
- Research team
- Organisational unit
- Lead unit ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation
- Start date
- 1st January 2008
- End date
- 1st January 2010
- Research areas
Benchmarker launched a web-based survey service with modules of standardised questions that measure and track the characteristics, outputs and activities of firms and the independent contractors within selected industries.
The wording of question modules are tailored to specific terms used within different sectors without changing the reliability of the data that has been gathered. In this way a common instrument is used to survey architects, graphic designers and interactive game developers without causing the respondent confusion to be confused due to abstract terminology.
Sophisticated techniques are used to protect the identity of contributing firms, especially with respect to their personalised Benchmark reports and to ensure the confidentiality of their data when pooled with others.
- Queensland Government Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation
- Australian Institute of Architects
- Design Institute of Australia
Publications and output
- Technical and database infrastructure now in its 3rd cycle of development
- The initial segment, architecture is now entering its third wave of data collection
- 150 personalised Benchmarker reports have been delivered to architecture firms
- Additional skills related question modules have been added to support the needs of other researchers
- Surveying of Games, Web and Graphic design firms commences October 2009