How to set up a QUT alumni chapter or group
We have resources available to assist alumni volunteers who work with us to establish a chapter or group. If you are interested, register as an alumni volunteer with the Alumni and Development Office.
What is an alumni chapter?
An alumni chapter is a formal, organised association of alumni who want to network with other QUT alumni for professional, industry, faculty, geographic or special interest purposes. An alumni chapter needs to follow a set of draft by-laws, which are available from the Alumni Office. Alumni chapters are overseen by a formal committee. The committee will be responsible for liaising with alumni staff, meeting QUT staff and assisting the university from time to time.
Alumni chapters are required to:
- maintain a set of official chapter by-laws
- have active officers and an active committee in accordance with the by-laws
- provide a delegate to represent the chapter at any QUT alumni leaders meeting
- maintain a viable membership base from the alumni population in the geographic, discipline or other specific interest area
- hold a minimum of two events per year to which all alumni eligible for membership of the chapter are invited.
What is a group?
An alumni group is an informal association of alumni who may meet regularly or occasionally meet for some specific purpose. Alumni groups will probably have one or more key people who organise events, or liaise with the QUT alumni office to assist with events. An alumni group has no formal requirement, although increased participation may eventually lead to registration as an alumni chapter. Some alumni groups do have a formal committee that meets regularly, while a small number have one or two alumni who liaise with QUT alumni staff.
Alumni groups are required to:
- have a small group of alumni who organise events on behalf of the group
- form a membership base from the alumni population in the geographic, discipline or other specific interest area that has brought the group together.
Alumni and Development Office
- Phone: +61 7 3138 4778
- Fax: +61 7 3138 1514
- Email: email@example.com
- Level 1, A Block,
2 George St
- Postal address:
GPO Box 2434
Brisbane QLD 4001